PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
This is an old school shop about 1 1/2 hours north of where I live owned by the Bonacquisti brothers (Paul, the pipe maker is one). Visited there today for the first time in a couple of years. Scored 11oz of bulk Ennerdale “Flake” (not in the best flake shape) They also had some brown flake scented but turns out it was so dry and brittle it would have been dust soon. Prices are high due to NY taxes but they do ship if anyone is interested. They have some Dunhill tins - DNR, 3yr, Ye Olde Sign, London Mixture, Standard Mixture Mild and Medium, BB1938, maybe 1 or 2 others. Also SG Balkan Flake, Perfection, Commonwealth, maybe Skiff. It was only English blends...some F&T mixtures, Fox, Brebbia, Solani maybe a few others of interest. The lady I spoke with really wasn’t sure how the pricing worked for out of state mail orders but worst case is full price of $25-30/tin. Dunhills were $25.99 and SG $29.99. Most tins have some age on the. I would say the SGs are pre 2015 bc no date code on the tin. Hope someone can score something they want!

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Did you happen to notice if they had any bulk Red Paramour. That was the Simply Red of the pipe world a few years ago. It was a very good bulk Virginia.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Did you happen to notice if they had any bulk Red Paramour. That was the Simply Red of the pipe world a few years ago. It was a very good bulk Virginia.
I noticed a red bulk but think it might have been a blending tobacco. As with a lot of other places the names aren’t always straight forward. No brand names and the blend name may be different. Can’t mistake Ennerdale. The person behind the counter wasn’t the most knowledgeable.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great shop, stopped by on every quarterly trip to NY. The old shop was tiny, but friendly folks in the small lounge. I was always made to feel welcome. The new lounge is great! I don't travel like that anymore, and miss places like that. Another good nearby shop is Edleez near Albany.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Great shop, stopped by on every quarterly trip to NY. The old shop was tiny, but friendly folks in the small lounge. I was always made to feel welcome. The new lounge is great! I don't travel like that anymore, and miss places like that. Another good nearby shop is Edleez near Albany.
I have to look into Edleez. Too bad The Smoker isn’t still around. I was there about 20 years ago.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I have to look into Eldeez. Too bad The Smoker isn’t still around. I was there about 20 years ago.
I was actually going to go there when I was still in college. After reading the P&T article about the shop I had to take a pilgrimage there. I called and talked to Mel and they had just closed the shop and he was packing everything up that week. I eventually met him at a few pipe shows. Great guy and had one of the best pipe collections, especially Barling. He was also a very knowledgeable and capable tobacco blender.

• Love
Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I was actually going to go there when I was still in college. After reading the P&T article about the shop I had to take a pilgrimage there. I called and talked to Mel and they had just closed the shop and he was packing everything up that week. I eventually met him at a few pipe shows. Great guy and had one of the best pipe collections, especially Barling. He was also a very knowledgeable and capable tobacco blender.
Truly, Mel was amazing. He was a speed-reader and would sit down with a stack of books he took out from the library for the day. Something like 5 books a day! Insane! I still have some of his Woodlands blend from 2000. Good stuff.

Reactions: kwg116
Status
Not open for further replies.