PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Dudes. I just did it for the first time. I used Sutliff Crumble Kake VA/Per on top and Seattle Pipe Club’s Galloping Gertie on the bottom. Both excellent tobaccos that are right up my alley. I like this a lot. I’ll do this again. Anyone else making layered bowls?

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I'll sometimes do this if I have a small amount of tobacco in my drying tray and have something else compatible to mix with it. I'll also sometimes top off a half finished bowl with a different blend. I've had pretty good results the few times I've tried it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I'll sometimes do this if I have a small amount of tobacco in my drying tray and have something else compatible to mix with it. I'll also sometimes top off a half finished bowl with a different blend. I've had pretty good results the few times I've tried it.
That’s what I did. I thought I had more G. Gertie than I did so I added its distant Sutliff cousin, C. Kake VA/Per on top. So good. Man, I love pipe’n.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My favourite by far was when I filled a bowl 2/3 with mick mcquaid plug and then the top 3rd with white knight. I regularly mix blends, but normally in a dish before loading rather than parfait.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
The only times I layer is when I don't have enough of a particular tobacco to fill a bowl. Did it yesterday with Embarcadero and Velvet. I prefer both on their own more.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Dudes. I just did it for the first time. I used Sutliff Crumble Kake VA/Per on top and Seattle Pipe Club’s Galloping Gertie on the bottom. Both excellent tobaccos that are right up my alley. I like this a lot. I’ll do this again. Anyone else making layered bowls?
Never. But I’m a stickler for smoking blends as the manufacturer intended. If I don’t like the blend they created, I don’t try to “fix” it; I move on.

Reactions: badbriar

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have a few times with what I assume to be complementary blends --- I can't claim the experiences were magical but they were enjoyable. Whether I got something I hadn't gotten before or really stood out? Haven't been able to verbalize it beyond, "hmmm, this is pretty good", maybe I can't tell the difference anyway, lol. I tend to get out a tall-ish stack.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Interesting. Do you use blending tobaccos or blends that simply feature these elements?
Bright would be either F&T golden mixture or G&H Kendal Gold, Red McCrannies, Dark G&H Kendal dark, or Black Twist. more flavor and Nic as you go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had some luck mixing tobaccos, adding cigar leaf or Cavendish, or mixing burley and Virginia. I haven't played with the parfait layering. I feel like the ember would end up mixing the blends anyway, but I should do that adventure one time to find out.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Never. But I’m a stickler for smoking blends as the manufacturer intended. If I don’t like the blend they created, I don’t try to “fix” it; I move on.
Dig that. I’m never interested in fixing a blend either because I don’t know enough about blending. I was just having a pipe adventure.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I've layered a bright virginia with St. Bruno with great results. It diluted the St. Bruno in a bed of hay/grass flavors. Worth repeating...

Reactions: Auxsender