PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it might a warrant a thread on its own. I use Parafilm (click here) to wrap tins and provide another layer in case the original tin seal fails. The 4" wide Parafilm can be cut to about an inch and wrapped around the tin. The self-adherent properties appear to be excellent for tins.
20170111_181301-600x450.jpg

The top tin is without Parafilm and the bottom tin has stretched Parafilm. This is the same manner as sealing petri dishes in the laboratory.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
For opened tins I use double folded aluminum foil placed between the tin and its cap, modeling the foil around the margin of the tin and cut about 1/2 inch below the border of the tin, then I seal it with electric tape stretched between the cap and below the margin of the aluminum foil. So far in more than one year the tobacco stays fresh as right after opening the tin.

I think parafilm over time is going to let air escape so I would not count for it for anything longer even if it is better than nothing.

I prefer to reseal a tin rather than jarring as it is definitely space saving.

Jun 27, 2016
R

I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it might a warrant a thread on its own. I use Parafilm (click here) to wrap tins and provide another layer in case the original tin seal fails. The 4" wide Parafilm can be cut to about an inch and wrapped around the tin. The self-adherent properties appear to be excellent for tins.
64alex

For opened tins I use double folded aluminum foil placed between the tin and its cap, modeling the foil around the margin of the tin and cut about 1/2 inch below the border of the tin, then I seal it with electric tape stretched between the cap and below the margin of the aluminum foil. So far in more than one year the tobacco stays fresh as right after opening the tin.

Question for both of you. When you are using these methods, are you getting any tin note aroma at all, if you were to isolate the can in a plastic container with a lid on it for example, and checking it over a few days? :puffpipe:

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
When you are using these methods, are you getting any tin note aroma at all, if you were to isolate the can in a plastic container with a lid on it for example, and checking it over a few days?
I've kept the parafilm sealed tins in a different location from my cellar and haven't noticed any tobacco aroma from those tins.
Others use it to combat bourbon evaporation
Is it something that will work on tins for years? I don't know. I know it will keep agar petri dishes from desiccating for at least a year.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Question for both of you. When you are using these methods, are you getting any tin note aroma at all, if you were to isolate the can in a plastic container with a lid on it for example, and checking it over a few days?
Using my method with aluminum foil I do not detect any aroma coming out of the tin, they smell exactly the same as the factory sealed tins. I keep about a dozen resealed tins in a box and there is no aroma in the box. When I open the tins there is plenty of aroma coming out of them as newly opened tins and the tobacco is not dry. I have done for one year so I don't know for how long it will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.