PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
image21-450x600.jpg

Every tin of tobacco I've ever bought comes with a paper insert like the one pictured above. I guess my question is, why? Does it serve a real purpose? I confess I don't throw them out when I crack a tin, but I just don't really see a reason for the extra packaging. Hoping one of you wise folks here can tell me what it does.
P.S. Bonus points if you can identify the tobacco in my picture.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
It helps retain moisture in the tin as the tobacco is smoked. Of course it only matters if you actually keep your tobacco in the tin after opening. It's especially helpful in tins larger than the small 1.76 oz and 50 g. tins. I just finished a 14 oz. tub of Carter Hall that has been open for about three months. When the tobacco starts to dwindle towards the bottom, pushing the paperboard insert down on top the tobacco really helps it retain moisture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That makes sense. The more you spread out or fluff up the pieces, the more they dry. As long as I keep the blend in the tin, I keep the paper insert on top.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I would have guessed the paper lining helps prevent any transfer of metallic taste to the tobacco. Kinda like the plastic lining inside of soup cans .

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Cosmic's reason is probably also true, and could be the original reason for the paper. Seems like you'd need some sort of barrier to discourage the tobacco from fluffing up over the edge of the tin when packing the tin. My analysis about using the paper to prevent excessive drying is just based on my experience. Also, I think the little cutout finger / thumb tab is there to make the paper disc easy to remove and replace, implying that repeat use of the paper disc is intended.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Some interesting observations here. As for the possible moisture wicking of the paper covers, with the McClelland and C&D type aluminum tins, I keep the pop-off metal lid and put that directly on the tobacco, with the paper insert on top of the lid before capping with the plastic thingie. This definitely keeps the moisture in the tin for a longer time.
hp

les

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
The tobacco is also loaded by weight, and is fluffy when loaded in, so having something press down the tobacco before the lid is applied might help smush it down a bit to make sure tobacco doesn’t get trapped between the lid and the tin
I was really surprised the first time I got my hands on a 2 oz. tin at how smushed in the tobacco was. Makes sense you'd need something to do the smushing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
EMP?
No one has mentioned the obvious: Advertising! But, you say, most inserts are not printed. True, but once the inserts caught on, no one dares omit them.
OK, the other reasons are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.