PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
My 14yo daughter would like to paint a Meerschaum Santa pipe. Rosy cheeks red hat etc. Being as she's artistically blessed but can very rarely be motivated to under take art projects of any form. I would like to encourage her. Pipes on the way just need suggestions for dyes or paints that could be used on a Meerschaum. Also looking for any suggestions or steps that might be easily over looked even working with the Meerschaum. This is very likely a not so subtle Christmas gift for dad so it would be nice if the paint/ Dye used would be safe to smoke as I'm sure it'll be expected by daughter. Thank you for any suggestions in advance.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Breathe? It absorbs the tobacco lees through its porosity. inside to out. The outer side is, in my experience treated with a wax mixture to protect the mineral from dirty hands and such. Being a mineral, how would it "breathe?"
Porosity = "breathing". Inside to out, exactly as you stated. If it didn't, how would it color?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here we go again. Does anyone have the picture of the meerschaum pipe that was cut in half? As usual our dear friend @warren has a point. On that note I am going to sneak off and imbibe a bowl of Condor Plug. Later guys!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Speaking out of the southern end of my personal environment here, but shouldn't some of it be left unpainted so it can still breathe?
Technically speaking, pipes regardless of material don't actually breathe. Even the long thought absorbent nature of briar turned out to be a myth as its density that makes it hard to burn limits its ability to absorb moisture. For meerschaum, it just soaks up any moisture like a sponge.

Screenshot_20211209-172255_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: HopHand

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
So I'll acknowledge that "breathing" isn't / wasn't the best word to choose. And I'll say I'm not trying to create any problems amongst friends here. That being said, porous is permeable, passable. As the picture demonstrates, that allows the moisture and what it's carrying to move through, toward, and to the outside of the pipe. If the pipe is covered with an impermeable "membrane" on the outside then its porosity will be limited. Perhaps the effect will be negligible, but technically it's there.
I'm also willing to be a pleasant student and learn better terminology and perspectives of understanding, but that's how I see things at the moment. It seems the picture provided (thank you) demonstrates that clearly. Cheers

Reactions: Chasing Embers