PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have here a few Paint Can type tobacco containers, those what we're often seeing on the German market as well as in Denmark

It would be interesting to know how long approximately tobacco in these like tins would remain fresh Or should I crack them open and put them contents in mason jars right away?I presume these mines are one year old already. Thank You

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have no experience with these tins myself but I do recall a video I saw some time ago of someone warning that they were not actually airtight and a better long term storage solution should be applied. I think they were talking about the HU tobacco tins and others like them if that's what you mean.
I'll try and find the video.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I am interested in the answers as well. I have some Directors Cut and Stokerbye cans that I'd hate to lose. Thanks

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, this isn’t good. I have about a half dozen tins of HU in the paint can style tins. I know jarring is always the right answe but hopefully I can leave these in the tins for a year or so. Please advise. Thanks.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I can't for the life of me find the video I'm thinking of.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Well, this isn’t good. I have about a half dozen tins of HU in the paint can style tins. I know jarring is always the right answe but hopefully I can leave these in the tins for a year or so. Please advise. Thanks.
Please don't take my word as gospel. Until I find that video it may just be something I imagined. If you are that concerned I would contact the manufacturer for a definitive answer.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
https://youtu.be/Qai6-oKDylw?t=400
I don't know how to embed the video here so there is the link. He talks about it at the 6:40 mark.
It's unclear if he means that they don't seal after they have been opened or they are just not really airtight at all.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK. Thanks jazz. Good video.
My google search resulted in several different opinions as is common when it comes to tobacco storage. Several individuals have reported opening several years old tins in which the tobacco was fine with no drying etc. I have yet to find a negative experience but I do believe that once the tin is opened, then all bets are off and it should be jarred.
My HU tins aren’t going into the deep cellar as I do want to smoke them but it might be a year or three before I get to them. Fairly certain they should be OK.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I recently opened a 12 year old tin of Reiner's Long Golden Flake. It was in perfect condition. Still moist and had aged wonderfully.

okiepiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2019
I have several LJ Peretti paint can style containers. Now I am wondering if I should open them and jar them.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I have a number of Perelli tins that, some, are 10 yrars old and the contents are as good as the day I got them. Probaly because they have aged wonderfully.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Paul and panhandler, I have sold and shipped literally hundreds of those old 1950's and 1960's lever top (paint can), style tins over the years. It depends on the way the tobacco was processed, of course, but those thick metal old cans with the air tight lids that the the Denmark, Sweden and Holland producers made were unbelievably good. I've personally had many tins from that time period that I sold to my pipe club for our monthly raffle bar that were in superb smokable condition. I can't think of any of the old German made cans off the top of my head, but there are others - like what ashdigger said about LGF, that are as good as most of the coin twist flat tins that followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.