PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
What is PAD?

A lot of you guys use that acronym and I cannot find the words that fit P.A.D.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
So, that means the pipe you wanted, when if you get it, you don't want it, because there are things about it you don't want.

Like it didn't show up.

Pipe is POS.

Ripped off.

Seized by customs.

Your dog bit the mail man.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe Acquisition Disorder is somewhat of a mystery to me. I can see enjoying a pipe, and I can see enjoying buying

pipe ten, or pipe twenty five. That covers a rotation, and about twice a rotation, to allow your pipes plenty of rest

between smokes, and then enough others so you can have some of the other shapes and/or materials that you covet,

and perhaps a few extras so you can have more than one billiard, Dublin, and bulldog, etc. So far, so good. That's

all understandable. The mystery is, why is pipe thirty-five, and forty-eight seemingly as gratifying as pipe four and

seven? It seems like, at some reasonable point, you would just say to yourself, I think I have enough pipes and will

just enjoy the ones I have for five or ten years. Maybe buy another one on a decade birthday or something. I knew

a guy who accumulated two hundred pipes, and I believe there are folks on Forums who have more than that, maybe

by two or three times. Unfortunately, I can understand that, though I don't want to imitate it. Now that's P.A.D.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I think for me, part of it is the excitement of that first bowl in a new pipe. The never ending quest for the next great burner is part of it as well.... Will this one smoke better, as good, or worse than the last one?

Holding that new pipe in your hand for the first time, the feel of it, the shine of a pristine new stem, the admiration of the craftsmanship and thought that went into its design and making, the intricacy of fine Birdseye or straight grain, inspecting every nook and cranny in the pattern of a craggy sandblast are all things that promote PAD.

Not to mention the decision process of what to smoke in it for the first time.... Am I going to dedicate this pipe to English/Balkan blends, Virginias, Va/Pers and Va/Burs, aromatics, Burleys ect.? These are just a few things that feed our PAD.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
nard:
For the definitions of "PAD" and other acronyms commonly used here, check out the link -- highlighted in red -- called "Terminology & Abbreviations" in the upper right corner of the main Forums page. Or just click this shortcut: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology.
Bob

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
Oh, OK then, I do have a mild form of PAD through the years, though not for tobacco. I've made many of them from wood, plumbing and...well, wood and plumbing fixtures. Or anything that looks like it could be made into a pipe, but in recent years I've been using papers.

Now, when I get over my CAD (Cold) and the snow melts, I'll be looking at hardwood trees and hardwood tree roots and other materials.....OH Yeah!
I'm developing a PAD!
Gonna buy some new drill bits, charge the drill, haul out the dremel type tool (note, never work hardwood in one hand while dremeling with the other, hard lesson learned years ago, wear gloves)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
So it's called PAD, is it?
If I could, I'd certainly buy a couple hundred pipes, or more; not in a hurry though. To begin with no two briars are identical and I love the different grain patterns, the tones of the finish, the shapes, well pretty much everything. I wouldn't even be in a hurry to try them, well maybe some of them!
For now I'll just enjoy looking at the incredible collections of others while I enjoy my meager quiver.
Dot

tankbuster183

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Deptford NJ
Hi, my name Tim and I have PAD.........
Ironically, my name is Tim, and I do have PAD. 13 pipes since June. However....
I buy a lot of estate pipes off ebay. I love cleaning them up in the garage and having the ball game on, the faint smells of gas/oil/wood in the background. I like the hobby of it, the history behind them, and of course smoking them. But I almost like the cleaning up aspect as much.
My point being, when I spend $30 on a Nording or Stanwell, it's not as bad as buying a new one at full price (this is what I say to my wife).

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
rmbittner
I had to use your link, to find out what a B&M was.

Had one of those 'Duhhh' moments when the answer was so obvious, a real forehead slapper.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Started in around september i think and have a custom tinsky in the works right now, which when arrives will equal #19. I hear ya and I'm right behind ya purplemotoman, lol.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
By next week I will have 7 different kinds of baccy.

1 pipe, I have a TAD of an issue here.
I need a PAD for a new TAD.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Good on ya nardzorb with the tobacco order.
I'm in the opposite boat - more pipes than tobacco blends.
I am enjoying my PAD but can't get to experience the TAD.
Soon I'll have to stock up on local OTCs if my traveling friends fail to bring me some tinned delights from some yonder pipedom!
Where I live pipe tobacco cannot be shipped by mail and the local tobbaco shops sell cigars almost exclusively.

diana

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
I also seem to have come down with this disorder? Disease? Affliction? It started out just with a few estate pipes..and now..Over 30...Most estates because I love to clean them...I find that if I do a monthly clean and polish on my pipes it helps...As well as staying away from eBay...which I nearly bought today something I had to force myself not to...but I'm saving up for something in particular...which is also helpful. Anyhow. Good luck!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I got all of it.. PAD TAD & PMS. And I just started 3 or 4 weeks ago. I can't stop. I've spent a butt load. Been divorced for 16 years so no wife to tell me to stop... isn't it wonderful :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't go to a pipe show with PAD; it's hopeless. Can't wait until next year's pipe show.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Seems to me that in some cases there's a fine line between a PAD and a collector. I've seem people on forums that buy pipes like women buy shoes. Often having them without even smoking them once. To me that's someone that's more of a pipe collector "forward" if you will. Sure he/she may smoke pipes too, but there's always one out there that catches the eye, and when funds are plentiful must be acquired.
I myself, seem to fall more toward having a TAD, mostly because I'm relatively new to pipe smoking. I have already sampled some great stuff am looking forward to getting my hands on much more to try, and start my cellar.
Having said that, there are also the TAD folks that seem to be more collectors than they are smokers. People with so much tobacco stored, there would be no way they could smoke all of it, but I'm sure they'll all give it the ol' college try. ;-)

Mar 1, 2014
I've gone through the motions with multiple other hobbies already.

You either tell yourself that the new one is different enough in some significant way to justify having it or that it is the perfection of what you have been looking for from the start and is sure to become your favourite.

60+ items later you realize that you actually could get by just fine with three or four of them. The trouble is, (as much as I hate to use a cliche) it's not the destination that counts. It seems as though you have to go through the experience of trying dozens of whatever it is you're collecting before you can conclude that you'd be happy with just the few.

My recommendation is to become familiar with the trade forum as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.