PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So - I've been saving up for my first Meer (see this thread), which has cut into my available PAD/TAD funds. Last week, though, I finally had enough left over to accommodate an order with P&C, so I took the plunge on a new Mark Twain cob and the "Buy 3 Get One Free" deal on the Bjarne Viking tobaccos (I just can't bring myself to pay money for anything named after "Saint" Olaf, sorry - he was a monumental jerk!).
And of course, on the day my package arrived, so did one of the nastiest head colds I've had in a long time. I think I produced half my body weight (not inconsiderable) in mucus over 24 hours, and it's only by some miracle that I didn't pull a muscle or break a rib coughing. And this weekend, when I'd normally sit down with a pipe for a couple of hours after work on Friday, I'll be on a vacation trip where I'm not certain if pipe smoke would be welcome, so I hardly want to take a tin I've never tried before. Sigh.
Ah, well. I've been looking for another aromatic to add to my 1-Q/Molto Dolce line up, and the Odin's Wind sounds promising. Once I've given it a fair shake, I'll let y'all know what I think of it. Then I'll see if the Erik the Red will be a better option than the Paladin Black Cherry that I've almost finished. William The Conqueror will have to be pretty good to compete with the English blends I've already fallen in love with, and I almost hope that St. Olaf has something wrong with it, as I also love my Va/Pers - but not St. Olaf, known among us Heathens as "Olaf the Fat", who got himself slapped silly by a queen he was trying to marry after he insulted her religion... :D

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks, wyfbane. Unfortunately, this cold seems to have triggered a relapse of the chest congestion that I had a few weeks back. Just went to the doc to make sure it's nothing more serious, and at this point the news is good. But I'm still coughing, more's the pity.
I cracked the lid on the Odin's Wind, and if it smokes half as good as it smells, it's going to be in the aromatic rotation. Although the description at P&C only mentions a vanilla note, this one has a lot of other scents going on in the tin, which I haven't quite teased out yet. Don't want it drying out too much before I get a chance to smoke it!

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I've been really sick lately too. Sounds like we've got something similar. I went from thinking I had the flu to something like whooping cough with how hard I've been coughing. I had just picked up some Sir Walter Raleigh that I've been so excited to try, but I'm going on two weeks now that I haven't been able to touch my pipe. Feel better!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It was interesting - both the nurse who took my vital signs and the doc who did the exam noted the "light tobacco user" flag on my file, but after hearing that it was pipe smoking, no inhaling, about a bowl a week, and that I haven't been smoking during the whole chest congestion thing, nothing further was said about it.
The wheezing has just about cleared up (thank goodness) - now I'm just trying to get rid of the cough. Thanks for the well-wishes and sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.