PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
So PAD has struck. I was browsing the estates on Smokingpipes.com and saw this beautiful meerschaum. I've only ever smoked briars and cobs so I thought I would switch it up a bit and buy it. It just arrived today and is a lot bigger than I had imagined, but it is still as amazing as I had hoped it would be. I have yet to smoke it, but I think I'll debut it tonight with a bowl of Mac Baren Plumcake.
Also, a few questions about meers:
1) How do I clean it? I have read that you aren't supposed to use alcohol and as this is an estate I would like to clean it before I smoke it.
2) This is specific to this pipe, but the stem is very loose. Like I'm concerned that the bowl might fall off while I'm smoking. Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thanks!
pKPIhqR.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats on your new meer!
1) How do I clean it? I have read that you aren't supposed to use alcohol and as this is an estate I would like to clean it before I smoke it.
2) This is specific to this pipe, but the stem is very loose. Like I'm concerned that the bowl might fall off while I'm smoking. Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thanks!
Definitely don't use water or alcohol. Also don't let cake build up, instead always wipe the bowl clean after use.
As for the stem, I am surprised smokingpipes didn't mention that (or did they and you decided to take a chance?). If it passes a pipe cleaner with the stem on, then I would melt a couple of drops of beeswax on the tenon.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Thanks six!
I was also surprised. There was no mention of the loose stem on the website, just that the pipe had been heavily smoked.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I was also surprised. There was no mention of the loose stem on the website, just that the pipe had been heavily smoked.
If it's still unsmoked and you wanted to, I am sure they'd let you return it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Smoking Pipes also cleans the pipes on the site. Very well I might add. I recently picked up a African Meer and a very old meer with amber bit. Both passed a fluffy cleaner through clean. YMMV.

I am also surprised they did not mention a loose stem. Must have failed to mention by accident. You could always return if unhappy.
-Jason

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
What happens if you wipe down out the interior of a meershaum bowl? I have a cheap one that I've wiped twice with Everclear... haven't noticed a problem. I don't use much Everclear - just wet a swab with it and wipe clean and then wipe dry with paper towel.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
What happens if you wipe down out the interior of a meershaum bowl? I have a cheap one that I've wiped twice with Everclear... haven't noticed a problem. I don't use much Everclear - just wet a swab with it and wipe clean and then wipe dry with paper towel.
I am no expert, but generally speaking "liquids" and meers don't mix well. I've heard some people occasionally will use alcohol, but very sparingly.
I recall reading a story about a woman who thought she'd do her husband a favor and wash his meer in the sink with warm water - then the pipe started to disintegrate. I cannot swear it was a true story, but I think it was!

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Here is a picture of the pipe deconstructed.
The problem is with the stem and the middle bit.
The middle part screws in to the shank just fine, but the stem fits incredibly loosely onto the smooth end of the middle bit.
SAZ4lBZ.jpg

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I'd put a little beeswax on the tenon, usually works for me when the stem is a little loose. Cleaning? After each smoke, I clean out the ash and any dottle (gently) with a pipe tool, and "ream" the bowl with a dry paper towel.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have had the trouble with amber stems. I find that if you wrap a length of cotton or dental floss everything seems to work fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.