PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
I have been on a tear this year buying tobacco and pipes. Last year I bought a couple of tins a month that came out to 1 1/2 pounds for the year and I bought 1 pipe. This year, so far, I've bought 8 pounds of tobacco and 2 Radices. I have to say I feel real good about it. I have enough tobacco to last for years and a couple of pipes that will last a lifetime. What is your annual record? What is the most you have purchased in one year?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
If we are talking a full year, from this point of last year until now.....

14.6 lbs in tins for that hasn't been opened. I'd add another 2 lbs for all the tins I have opened plus another 1lb for bulk that I had bought. So roughly 18lbs in a year.

Pipes.... who knows. I guess close to 40 pipes. Mostly Petersons and Morgan Bones. One or two Morettis and a Brigham. I have about 80 pipes now total. Reckon I don't need anymore. However, I still will collect mainly Peterson X105 and 317 shapes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In June of 2012 I decided to build a 20 year cellar. I figured it would cost around 17-18K with most of it being in tins.. By the end of 2013 I figured I had completed my goal and had enough to last me 20 plus years. I figured I spent the 18 grand but could have been off a thousand here or there. Either way I had enough tobacco to last me a good long while.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
So far this year, I’ve been buying bulk Haunted Bookshop, and nice sized initial Esterval’s order, and some KBV options. That’s pretty light for me considering past years purchasing tallies.

I don’t anticipate buying anything more than re-upping my Haunted Bookshop stash. I’ve got plenty to last me of most everything else. ?☕

While I do keep records, I have not summarized it annually. Here are the best guesses...
  • I have been smoking roughly for 20 months (5 months in 2017, followed by 2 year gap and the rest continuously from 2019
  • I will break this up into two periods: First one year & following 8 months. You will see why shortly
  • First one year period I bought about 36 of my 41 pipes. I established a rotation, developed and understanding of the pipes, became clearer on what I like and so on
  • The second 8 months I have bought about 5 pipes which are generally more valuable than the first year pipes (Value has a strong correlation to price, but may not be an absolute relation. A good example would be the Cob I bought in the second year. It is very valuable as I did not have a proper cob earlier and filled a gap in my collection. However ... on an average the second year pipes are much more costly than the first year pipes
  • I have almost stopped buying pipes as I have established a rule: Every next pipe I buy would be in some sense more valuable than everything else I own - so I have already sort of priced myself out of pipe buying, but may still buy 1-2 a year
  • I buy tobacco in a slightly larger proportion than I can smoke - The goal is to have a cellar with an average depth of 8 years so I can select an aged tobacco from my own cellar going forward
  • I have purchased about 45 lbs of tobacco so far with a sealed cellar size of about 32 lbs - This has been fairly uniform over 20 months but also slowing down as I am closing on towards my target cellar size

Reactions: sokrates and 3rdguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Last year I bought 100 pounds of tobacco in one shot during a sale. More tobacco throughout the year and maybe ten pipes. This year I've bought six Savinelli yachtsmen, three Bruce Weavers, two larger meerschaums, two Dunhills, a Bill Taylor, several cobs, and made three commissions. Tobacco wise this year, I've bought at least a pound per pipe bought.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m afraid to add it all up, I don’t know. My biggest haul years were maybe 2012 & 2016. Thousands of dollars... that’s all I want to know. I could be living in a mansion with the money I spent on Condor alone. ? But hey, now, sometimes when I’m all alone in my small cardboard box, I make it rain with Condor!