PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
So recently, I came to buy an estate Radice (smoked only once or twice probably, enough to darken the chamber) Rind with a wonderful plateau top for the very lovely price of $78.
I also just bought a Comoy's Magnum Lumberman (It's a 309 with a replacement stem, and they replaced it with a saddle rather than a taper) I immediately got excited and bought the pipe, but I now question the age of the pipe and whether or not I just wasted my money getting a 1980+ Comoy's pipe.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=190984
Reading through, I get mixed signals on the dating of this pipe, and I wondered if any of you gents could help clarify. I know that the Magnum could potentially be 60's or a little later, or this pipe could be from the 90's as a bringing back of the Magnum series. I read that it was pre-Cadogan comoys who would use letters after their pipe shape numbers at times, which has me hopeful. But I feel like this one is newer. I hope I'm wrong though.
Any thoughts?
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
The Cadogan are pipes I have seen seem to have a small single character stamp on the bottom of the shank near the stem. It could be a letter or a symbol.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Also from pipedia:

Magnum. As mentioned above, the 800 series are “Magnum” sized, but I also have one pipe that is stamped “Magnum,” with the shape number 802 and is the same shape and size as my Extraordinaire 802. It dates from the 1960s, and Comoy’s may have used this name as a marketing exercise to supersede the 800 series. The name Magnum was re-introduced by Cadogan in the 1990s, but these were not really magnum sized.
If you're pipe is more normal size it may be a Cadogan.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
It's noted to be 6.29" in length and 1.92" in height, hardly what I consider normal but I could be mistaken.
I will have to see the nomenclature myself in person to get an idea of how it is labeled. It seems to be quite long, as 6.29" seems to be a rather long pipe, but I don't know alot about comoy's. The only thing I have is a pre-cadogan private label Bulldog under the name "DUNEDIN"

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Be patient grasshopper, the Comoy experts will figure out this conundrum for you. I have nothing to offer as I don't buy Comoy's. You realize only people of the gay persuasion( not that there is anything wrong with that) buy Comoy's.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
As usual Harris, you are right on point with that. Comoy's is working on a new system pipe to combat the Peterson P-lip. The new D-lip has a phallus shaped button. This new system is not made for clenching, merely gently caressing with the lips and tongue. Contrary to most system pipes, this one is designed to shoot hot juicy goo in your mouth with every sultry sip.

May 31, 2012
Not much of a Comoy's guy,

but here's a good blog post featuring a similar shape:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2014/6/17/on-liverpools.html
See also:

http://west55555.blog21.fc2.com/blog-entry-8.html
The specs on your pipe are pretty close to this one:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=62358

...I dunno my Magnums from my Extraorinaires though,

so somebody else should try and fill the gap here...
edit:

and apparently I don't know my lumbermans from my liverpools either!
:puffy:

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Maybe they could put a D-lip on one of these.
bjarne12-600x462.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Cigar master, as a committed heterosexual I must 'put you right' about comoy pipesmokers. I have more COMOY pipes in my collection than any other, & in my opinion were the finest made factory pipes bar none! The only dick I've ever looked at in awe & amazement is my own(which I do on a daily basis) the only dick I've ever held is my own(2 hand job btw) so I must refute your statement most vehemently sir. I notice in your avatar your wearing a pink shirt, & standing funny. I think sir if your trying to 'come out' there are easier ways than to have a go at U.S. comoy pipesmokers! No offence meant to anyone apart from cigar master, obviously.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Mmmmm. Interesting bent on that pipe voorhees, nothing like that in the comoys range of course. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.