PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Long ago there was a thread for everyone to post pics of their latest PAD purchases (rather than the multiple threads that get started ever so frequently).
I figured I would try to bring back the thread for 2011. Show us some pics of your latest PAD episodes. :D
Here are my latest acquisitions (technically since Christmas...but close enough to 2011).
GBD Flame Grain - Bent Bulldog

gbd-01-600x450.jpg

Kaywoodie Colt - Yacht (Zulu)

kaywoodie-colt-01-600x450.jpg

Sasieni 4 Dot - Bulldog

sasieni-01-600x450.jpg

Kaywoodie Relief Grain - 6 Panel Poker

kaywoodie-relief-grain-01-600x450.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think Bob closed that thread so that we would just create our own threads for our pipe acquisitions. That said, I like the idea of each of us starting our own PAD threads for the year. Kind of a PAD online journal, if you will.
Now, about your new pipes... The GBD bulldog is gorgeous! I LOVE the grain on that, plus the shape has grown on me since cortezattic started posting pictures of his GBD bulldogs. I also really like the Sasieni 4 Dot Bulldog. The Zulu is a shape I've only recently been introduced to. Could we get another shot from the top? The poker looks like it is a comfortable pipe both in the hand and the mouth.
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Beautiful Bytor! :clap:
I love the look of them all.

I have always like the look of a 6 panel.

Just never got around to acquiring one.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I just got a Kaywoodie Yacht...that's what Kaywoodie called the Zulu shape. Yours looks to be in better condition than mine, but with less pronounced curves. But maybe I'm wrong about the curves part, I left mine yacht at a buddy's last night and haven't been able to get it yet. Is it a four-digit? So far as I know Kaywoodie discontinued the yacht shape after 1938, but I don't know that for sure.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Thanks guys!
As requested...a view from the top of the Zulu. Taken with my iphone...so not the best pic.
IMG_6807.jpg

A bit more info on all of them.
The GBD is (I think) pre-Comoy as it has a brass logo inlay on the stem. It was unsmoked (until tonight) and only needed minor cleanup of slight oxidation on the stem.
The Sasieni is an estate that appears to have been made between 1946-1950. It is in great shape, but has been slightly over-buffed by whoever restored it. It is a real nice smoker though!
The Kaywoodie Colt is a cute little estate pipe that was either very lightly used, or very well restored. I believe the Colt designates that it was a smaller than standard pipe (it measures only 4.75" in length).

@ Collin: This may explain why it doesn't seem as curvy. While trying to date this one, I also noticed that mine was more "flat" that any pictures I could find. As for shape numbers...it doesn't have any that I can see. Most of the nomenclature on the shank is pretty clear, so I'm not sure if it was ever stamped with a shape number.
The Kaywoodie Relief Grain was a pipe that came with a lot of unsmoked pipes that had been in a display frame in a pipe shop that closed down. Most of the pipes have severe oxidation on the stems, and it took significant effort to bring this one from orange/yellow to black again.
I have trimmed the stinger off of both the Kaywoodies, as I don't intend to resell them and I like being able to stuff a pipe cleaner all the way through.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Love the new pipes Bytor!!
I kinda like your idea Lordnoble! Start your own PAD thread and update it as you get new pipes! Title them like "Bubbadreier's PAD Thread" so that way they are easy to tell apart!

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Great looking pipes. Like that Zulu shaped one the best.
Having a separate thread for pipes sounds fine. I'd like to see a dedicated thread for each of the popular pipe brands, like a Dunhill Thread, Peterson thread etc., and have them sticky up top for easy access. Just my 2 cents.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Very impressive.
Your GBD, as with most of them prior to 1981 is absolutely beautiful!
At first glance of the Sasieni, I figured it was at least a "transition" due to the aparent size of the dots....another very nice pipe!
Again,....impressive collection, congratulations! :D

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice pick ups!
I closed the original thread because it got way too big. I figured that it would be easier if there were single threads. The idea of each person starting their own year long PAD thread sounds like it might be a good idea.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Thanks for all the compliments guys! It seems that the GBD is quite popular (and I must admit...it may turn out to be one of my favorites) :)
@Tommy: Given the fact that the patent number is stamped on the shank, I am fairly certain that it was made shortly after Alfred Sasieni took over the company. But I have wondered about the size of the dots on the stem too. It may be that the pipe has a replacement stem. I can't really be sure as I don't have access to any other Sasieni pipes to compare it too.
Either way...I'm happy with it! It's got nice grain, is light weight and a good smoker.
It would seem that I have an affinity for bulldogs and rhodesians as they comprise almost 1/3 of my collection!

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Oh it's a Colt! I hadn't noticed that! Yeah, the Colt is (so far's I can tell) a newer manufacture, semi-Yacht that has a good style to it. I actually almost won a Colt back in the beginning of December. Unfortunately, I just barely lost out on it. Now I feel worse still about missing it; it is a damn good looking pipe.

Did you get a date for it? I'm thinking it might be of sixties or seventies manufacture; the logo looks the same as on my Chinrester, which was made in the early 70s. As I recall, at least.

Regardless of all date stuff, they're all fine looking pipes, and I hope they give you plenty of pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.