PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I smoke a lot of coins - Dunhill DNR is one of my absolute favourites, switched in with Peter Stokkebye LBF, which is an excellent, stupidly cheap alternative. The LBF is not as tasty, IMHO, but still really enjoyable. I haven't tried the Newminster Slices, but I think they're very similar to the LBF.
Essentially a flake, coins can be folded/rolled/Z-folded (my preferred method)and stuffed. They can be rubbed out, but one difference to regular flakes is that they can also be unwound so that you have a loose skein to pack. In reality, you'll find that some of the discs will get rough and fall apart at the edges - especially if you buy bulk and they've just been lobbed in the bag to ship - so you'll have some long loose bits anyway, but the difficulties I find with the unrolling method are:
1. It can be messy;

2. The tobacco packs loose and can burn hot and fast;

3. Some coins, like the LBF and Newminster Slices, have the bullseye of dark tobacco in the centre. Cavendish for DNR, Kentucky for Newminster. Either you have to unpick this as well, or place it somewhere in/under/on top of/next to the loose tobacco. This, in turn, dictates when you get the taste of that centre leaf and how it mixes with the rest of the blend.
I prefer to try to keep the coin as the blender intended, hence the Z-fold which holds the bullseye in place. However, I know there are some who unravel the tobacco and position the core, others unravel/rub the coin and break the bullseye up through the loose tobacco, while yet more pop out the dark discs and keep them to smoke separately! The choice is yours...
One big benefit of coins, to my mind, is that they're generally clean and easy to use if not unravelled. You can also work them to the size of the bowl by folding/rolling two or more together for a thicker wad and/or stack the wads one atop another for height.
I hope this helps. The only thing I know is that I go through coins too quickly! Enjoy!
Andy

Newminster Round Slices are some good sweet coins. I love them, but they are precarious to fold and stuff neatly like a regular rectangle flake, but I usually just crumple them and stuff them. I try to get that darker center into the middle or bottom of the bowl, because that's where the "kick" in flavor and strength is, dark fired Kentucky I think. The flake will expand out as the heat gets to it, so you don't have to worry too much about any air pockets. IMO

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Speaking of, I recently got a few ounces of this to try, and I've had a few bowls now, and I'm finding them to taste sweet but occasionally I find it gets really bitter. Kentucky shouldn't taste bitter. Not really impressed thus far, I'm rubbing them out fully and smoking in a narrow chambered pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for the good suggestions and lessons on coin. I've done flake and cube, but not coin,

and this gives me ideas on how to go about it.

With these coins and LBF, I find that after I've toted them around in a baggie for a while, they end up unraveled anyway. But, I do enjoy them anyways.

Newminster sand PS's coins are very different blends. I don't think Newmister is using perique, but relying on the Kentucky to give it spice, whereas PS uses perique and the center is a cavendish with a little sweetness. Also, Newminster has a honey casing that I really like. I like both, but they're definitely different, IMO.
Try their Navy flake, it's very sweet with a bit of a bite, but I like the bite on them. Like a gentle kitten bite, not a pit bull, LOL.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I thank you all.. i grab 3 kinda fold and stuff add the little extra that falls off and light and go i dig em

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
today another type of tobacco i never tried before a flake.. Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake. wish me luck mates

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
@85Royals - be sure and post a review, either here or in a new thread! I'm really interested in how that DE flake rates...

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Ooooh. I have a tin of 3P and I think a stokkebye of some sort. Would love some suggestions on what to try next.

Status
Not open for further replies.