PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I assume if I smoke a pipe by putting the lip/bit/mouthpiece barely into my mouth as opposed to shoving half the stem in there, then a Peterson P-Lip stem isn't really gonna work for me & I should stick with fishtail?

Looking at pics of it I imagine my top lip will cover & block the draught hole?

(I'm about to buy a Peterson and want to know if I should discount p-lip from my choices)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Tough to say without being the one clenching the pipe. All I can say is I clench right on the bit and have never had a problem with p lip blocking the draw. They fee awkward at first, just because of the shape.

I don’t know for you though, maybe see where your upper lip falls on a fishtail somehow and compare it to the p-lip pics?

Jan 8, 2013
P-lip takes some getting used to, but I rather liked it after I got used to it. Seems to me that with the smoke being directed to the top of the mouth, the smoke then rolls down and over the tongue and I get more flavor. I wouldn't discount it at all. If you're concerned, you could opt for a lower cost Peterson System pipe to give it a try. Worst case scenario is you hate it and sell the pipe.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Thanks guys

Yeah I don't do clenching or hanging (hand-held all the time) and I was just outside the office with a flat fishtail and noticed how little of the stem is actually in my mouth which got me thinking about the online 'window shopping' I've been doing for my Peterson purchase

I guess a p-lip might be something a small change in technique will let me get used to if the pipe itself was something to fall in love with. Otherwise I think some of their range might just have fallen off my radar

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@TinCup I smoke exactly the same way. Hand held, button barely past my lips, no teeth involved. P-lips do not work that way, your lips totally block the hole... I’ve tried. I started with a P-lip and liked it well enough, but once you go to a fishtail it’s weird to go back. P-lips are fine for clenching but you’ve got to stick them in there further than I like, and then figure out what to do with your tongue on the bit, and it just feels like work to me. My guess is it would feel cumbersome to you, as it does to me.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It took some getting used to but I enjoy mine. I find that the tip rests very nicely just behind your teeth and doesn’t cause a distraction. I only clench a bit here and there other wise I hold my pipes. The p lip definitely guided me towards clenching more often.

Reactions: Ronv69 and rushx9

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I don't know about Peterson's, but I have a Vauen Churchwarden that came with a short stem as well. That short stem has what I assume is their version of the P-lip. I've never used it. Maybe Peterson's has a pipe that comes with a fishtail and a P-lip stem so you could try it, but not have to use it if you don't like it?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one P-Lip, a bulldog, and enjoy it, but I wouldn't get another. It's just more stem and more awareness of it than I care to have, smoke after smoke. The re-direction of the smoke to the roof of my mouth doesn't detract but doesn't impart any improvement either. Fishtails work for me. I'm mostly unaware they are there, which is good. All my other Petes are fishtail, and I have about eight.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I assume if I smoke a pipe by putting the lip/bit/mouthpiece barely into my mouth as opposed to shoving half the stem in there, then a Peterson P-Lip stem isn't really gonna work for me & I should stick with fishtail?

Looking at pics of it I imagine my top lip will cover & block the draught hole?

(I'm about to buy a Peterson and want to know if I should discount p-lip from my choices)
Do you put the button behind your teeth?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Majority of my pipes have P-lips. I park the button on my lower teeth. Always hold the pipe on left hand. Been getting army and spigots lately with fishtail. Bit getting used to, but fishtails are OK. But what do I do with my tongue when smoking fishtail? No place to rest my tongue like on P-lips!