PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Anyone ever buy this combo from P&C?
From their website:
The Top Shelf Humidor Sampler includes:

1 – Montecristo Classic Robusto (5” x 52)

1 – Romeo y Julieta Real Toro (6” x 54)

1 – Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5” x 49)

1 – Rocky Patel Connecticut Toro (6” x 52)

1 – Gurkha Beauty (6.5” x 56)

1 – Alec Bradley American Sun Grown Robusto (5” x 50)

1 – Macanudo Café Hyde Park (5.5” x 49)

1 – Oliva Serie ‘O’ Robusto (5” x 50)

1 – Punch Pita (6.1” x 50)

1 – 5 Vegas Gold Churchill (7” x 50)

1 – Whitetail Glasstop Humidor

I bought it. $49.99. Not expecting a whole lot from the humidor, if it’s ok I’ll consider it lagniappe. I mostly just got it for the sampling of cigars. If they show up in decent shape, then I figure it’s a bargain for the sticks alone. What do y’all think? ?‍♂️

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Anyone ever buy this combo from P&C?
From their website:
The Top Shelf Humidor Sampler includes:

1 – Montecristo Classic Robusto (5” x 52)

1 – Romeo y Julieta Real Toro (6” x 54)

1 – Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5” x 49)

1 – Rocky Patel Connecticut Toro (6” x 52)

1 – Gurkha Beauty (6.5” x 56)

1 – Alec Bradley American Sun Grown Robusto (5” x 50)

1 – Macanudo Café Hyde Park (5.5” x 49)

1 – Oliva Serie ‘O’ Robusto (5” x 50)

1 – Punch Pita (6.1” x 50)

1 – 5 Vegas Gold Churchill (7” x 50)

1 – Whitetail Glasstop Humidor

I bought it. $49.99. Not expecting a whole lot from the humidor, if it’s ok I’ll consider it lagniappe. I mostly just got it for the sampling of cigars. If they show up in decent shape, then I figure it’s a bargain for the sticks alone. What do y’all think? ?‍♂️
It's certainly a fine value in terms of what the cigars go for if bought separately. I've had most of the cigars on the list and I think the Oliva O and Punch Pita are quite good. AB American Sun Grown is solid too. Most of the rest aren't to my tastes but they're certainly of decent quality.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Not a bad assortment, I've had a couple of them and enjoyed them. I guess it depends on what you like in cigars. Have you seasoned a humidor before?
Nope. I smoked cigars for years before switching to pipe tobacco, but I always bought them singly from a local shop, and only bought what I would smoke in short order. The shop closed down some years ago, and that’s when I started with pipes. Haven’t had more than the occasional cigar since then. Any pointers?

Reactions: seanv
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It's certainly a fine value in terms of what the cigars go for if bought separately. I've had most of the cigars on the list and I think the Oliva O and Punch Pita are quite good. AB American Sun Grown is solid too. Most of the rest aren't to my tastes but they're certainly of decent quality.
I’ve had cigars from Punch, Romeo y Julieta, Cohiba, Macanudo, and Montecristo, but not these particular cigars.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Nope. I smoked cigars for years before switching to pipe tobacco, but I always bought them singly from a local shop, and only bought what I would smoke in short order. The shop closed down some years ago, and that’s when I started with pipes. Haven’t had more than the occasional cigar since then. Any pointers?
It's easier now than ever thanks to Boveda. Buy their seasoning packs and youre off to the races. I use Boveda exclusively now and can't say enough good things.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
A while back I purchased a similar sampler that came with a free humidor. Sticks were great but the humidor was a piece of crap, MDF with a thin veneer of cedar about the thickness of a cereal box. The one in your sampler looks much better quality.
We’ll see ?
Maybe it’ll be ok, but I’m not expecting anything grand.

Reactions: danimalia
I personally like the Cohiba, Monte Christo and Romeo y Julietta. I find the Macanudo to be OK. However these are all very mild cigars. If you like mild cigars these would be excellent choices
I did not like the Oliva Serie O, but when I smoked it last, I was a beginner. I should revisit it again, but all Oliva cigars get very high praise.

I have not smoked the others. However in general a sampler offers excellent value to a beginner, who is sampling various sticks.

I don’t know about the quality of the humidor, but at the given price you cannot really go wrong.

In my opinion the Gurkha Beauty (I realized I have smoked this one as well) and Punch are the filler sticks.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Those are mostly okay cigars. Depends on what you're looking for. I'd rather spend that money on 7 or 8 Psdron 2000s or a comparable Oliva or Brickhouse. For that matter, I'd buy 5 My Father or Tats. But I like a stronger, more full bodied cigar and would rather pay extra and get it. To me, those mild Dominicans leave me wanting much more, like smoking air.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Those are mostly okay cigars. Depends on what you're looking for. I'd rather spend that money on 7 or 8 Psdron 2000s or a comparable Oliva or Brickhouse. For that matter, I'd buy 5 My Father or Tats. But I like a stronger, more full bodied cigar and would rather pay extra and get it. To me, those mild Dominicans leave me wanting much more, like smoking air.
I’ll keep those in mind. I like full bodied smokes, too.

Reactions: danimalia and seanv

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If it turns out to be a lousy humidor, don't sweat it. You can set up a tupperdor with a cheap tupperware storage bin, some heartfelt beads or boveda packs and some pieces of cedar or old cedar cigar boxes. The added cedar is optional. I have it added to mine more out of tradition than any necessity I think. ;)

And even a lousy humidor can make a fine dry box if you like to dry box your cigars for a day or two before smoking as I often do.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
And even a lousy humidor can make a fine dry box if you like to dry box your cigars for a day or two before smoking as I often do.
The two I’ve had so far out of the sampler could’ve used some dry boxing. I smoked the Macanudo and the Rocky Patel. Both tasted fine for the first two thirds or so, but then had a pretty strong ammonia odor by the last third of the cigar. Nothing like hints of public restroom urinal that hasn’t been flushed in a week. ?
I don’t recall ever experiencing that before with the Macanudo Cafes, but I used to buy from a local B&M that didn’t have a lot of inventory turnover, so I think all the cigars in the walk-in had been there long enough to lose any ammonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.