PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Okay so I got my order from P&C just before noon today. I just want you all to know the amount of self control required to take pictures before lighting up was incredible. But for y'all I tried :D
So The UPS guy showed up with this huge box

Qj6qQNoh.jpg

The cats were very interested in it.
I don't think I realized exactly how much tobacco twenty tins is

wSS8IS8.jpg

But the tins and the cigars/humidor made a lovely addition to my cellar

dGAChEJ.jpg

And then I got to the hard part, buried deep beneath the peanuts I managed to unearth an amazing artifact.

9x6Zwra.jpg

dtStQEx.jpg

Behold my first Dunhill. With the ever coveted white spot.

RbVHbgj.jpg

I'm not sure why the inside looks like a large gauge piercing needle. Is that a standard Dunhill thing? and does it have some effect on the smoke?

Hh3MaKP.jpg

Then after much careful deliberation, I loaded the first bowl up with some Sutliff #5,grabbed a coffee(with kahlua and hazelnut creamer), sat down with one of my smoking buddies, and lit it up.

cXXlKat.jpg

I have to admit the first smoke, while excellent, it does not seem too far off some of my favorite basket pipes. Though the basket pipes are well smoked and broken in all ready...so I suppose after a break in period I should start noticing a difference.

It was an excellent, cool, and flavorful smoke. I'm looking forward to seeing how this pipe develops as the cake begins to build and the pipe and I bond a bit

Nice open draw and passes a cleaner with no real finangling necessary.

Aesthetically, the pipe is gorgeous. The almost bone like grain on the extension doesn't show as well as I would like in my pictures. Nor do P&C's pictures do it justice. The rustication on the pipe was done beautifully as well. I'm not really concerned about boxes or socks as this will primarily be a smoke at home pipe. Though I suppose both are nice to have.
Special thanks to my box babe, Mabon and her sister, my smoking buddy, Kami
PS: The cats are now in absolute luxury in the newly constructed Fort Kittenbox courtesy of UPS,P&C,and the fine products at X-Acto

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I hope you enjoy all those different tobaccos as well. Looks like an excellent assortment.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Nice haul. Ive got a pretty sizable order coming from P&C as well. Too bad a Dunhill is not going to be in it... Enjoy!

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I see a lot of Sutliff. I could have given you a case of it for free. Our pipe club gets cases of those blends for free! But, I don't see any Captain Bob's Blend? (Just kidding) Light that pipe and enjoy yourself!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

joshwolftree

actually only 2 tins of sutliff in the cellar and one in the rotation right now, the hearth and home tins look very similar. I love their #5 but haven't had much time to stock up on it. Captain Bobs is on the list for the next order(usually 1 or 2 a month). But you know if your looking to rid yourself of a case of sutliff and you feel like throwing some Captain Bobs in to try... :lol: I suppose I'd just have to make it a captain and captain and coke night.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
josh, I hear ya. Anyway, I was just fooling around with you. However, I will check the Pipe Club stock next month at our meeting and see if we have a residual. It usually goes pretty fast with the free samples from Altadis (Sutliff). But, if we have extra, I will send it to you. Either way, if you PM me your physical address, I will send you a sample of Captain Bob's Blend (from my private stock) just for putting up with me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a haul, pal!
Your first Dunhill will be a special moment you'll remember for the rest of your life.
That "gauge piercing needle" is a stinger and I read somewhere that Dunhill refered to it as a "smoke cooling" device, IIRC. Also, they only used it for a few years - again IIRC - so you've got a swell vintage burner on your hands, Josh.
Congratulations, friend.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.