PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I recently used hot water to make the stems really brown. Then a magic eraser pad to get rid of it. Then wet sanding with those hobbyist micro mesh pads, 1500 through 12000, to bring back the shine. Alcohol on pipe cleaners to clean the inside.

Takes some elbow grease, but shows good results. Still not sure of the best way to avoid rounding the shoulders on the stem though.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I recently used hot water to make the stems really brown. Then a magic eraser pad to get rid of it. Then wet sanding with those hobbyist micro mesh pads, 1500 through 12000, to bring back the shine. Alcohol on pipe cleaners to clean the inside.

Takes some elbow grease, but shows good results. Still not sure of the best way to avoid rounding the shoulders on the stem though.

Do you mean the part of the stem that butts up against the shank? Not sure of the best way, but I always put a thin washer on the tenon, then assemble the pipe normally. Next step is to be mindful of how easily tenons break when leverage of any kind is applied to the juncture, then proceed.

Reactions: OzPiper and Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.