PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Recently I received an older Savinelli.
The stem is very oxidized--way worse than I've ever let any of my pipes get, way more than I've ever dealt with before.
Pipe's in great shape otherwise, but I'm curious what works for you all?
Thanks, guys.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Soak in a warm Oxiclean and water solution for an hour or two.
I do the following steps at the sink with a slight trickle of water coming out of the faucet.
Remove slimy oxidation with a Magic Eraser, until brown stops coming off on the M.E.
Wet sand with Micromesh pads, making sure you spend a good amount of time with each pad to remove the previous pad's sanding marks.
Dry, then apply a coating of mineral oil and let that soak in for a little while.
Finish with a thin coat of Halcyon II wax and you are good to go.
Don

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had a good bit of luck with my past few restorations only using a lighter and a wet paper towel.
https://rebornpipes.com/2012/06/14/a-bic-lighter-and-oxidation/

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Using a lighter also has the added benefit of lifting some light chatter and tooth marks from the vulcanite. There is however an element of danger involved.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You do have to be fast. The link says to paint the stem with the flame. Just enough to get it warm without burning it.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
There is a rather distinctive smell that is emitted when you spend a little too long in one spot.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
There is a rather distinctive smell that is emitted when you spend a little too long in one spot.
Yep, sulpher. Something else I've gotten away from is mineral oil. I thumb buff my ebonite stems with toothpaste and they're a glossy mirror black.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Glad I found this thread. Got a few stems that I've neglected over the years that are in need of some TLC. Will definitely try Don's tips. Thanks all.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
For heavy oxidation, the best and safest bet is Before and After Restoration Deoxidizer. It's magic at removing the oxidation, and it's very gentle on the stem, in fact I would say the stem comes out completely rejuvenated. A lot of the techniques that are good at removing oxidation are not very good for the stem in general, but this stuff is safe and works wonders.
After any kind of de-oxidation bath, use mineral oil (never alcohol) to clean the stem. It will give your stems new life and strengthen their resolve for future hardships. Alcohol dries things out, and water can sometimes damage some materials as well. Mineral oil will both clean and protect your stems perfectly.
Reborn pipes has a few pages on this, just google 'rebornpipes before and after'.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
For heavy oxidation, the best and safest bet is Before and After Restoration Deoxidizer.
I wish I would have tried this before I cleaned up a Savinelli Autograph stem. I was extremely careful, covered the logo with capstick, dare not touch it but poof, it was gone. A quick dab and wipe with nail polish and it is back, kinda...
Don

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, I'm also on the lookout for the perfect logo restoration product for the stems I did before I got this stuff. I've been thinking about trying Rub N Buff, as I've seen it used on Rebornpipes with some success. Pretty much everything I know about restoring is lifted straight from Rebornpipes. Back when I first started my research there, I thought it was just one guy, but once I realized there are multiple sources I started looking through their different methods for the same process and trying them all out. If I ever have a conundrum I just search their tags and it's almost always been solved for me.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Other than personal experience and practice, Rebornpipes is a wealth of knowledge, techniques and tips.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If you destroy a logo, but it can be "repainted", I highly recommend a nail polish called "hard as nails". It works wonderfully. Dab it on, wipe off excess and then let dry. The next day finish buffing the stem. It even works on missing Kaywoodie logos. Great Stuff!!

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Just wanted to post and say thank you to all that helped out. The above advice worked terrific and the pipe's all ready for enjoyment :)
Thanks, fellas!

Status
Not open for further replies.