PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
Gentlemen,

I'd recently bought a restored Dr. Grabow Silver Duke pipe. I noticed that the interior of the metallic tenon had a somewhat rough, bumpy and discoloured texture, most likely oxidation of some kind. These characteristics aren't too noticeable, as I would have never known unless I checked every nook and cranny.

Is this pipe still safe to smoke out of?

Many thanks,

Mick

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gentlemen,

I'd recently bought a restored Dr. Grabow Silver Duke pipe. I noticed that the interior of the metallic tenon had a rough, bumpy and discoloured texture, most likely oxidation of some kind - is this pipe still safe to smoke out of?

Many thanks,

Mick
Got any photos?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd have to use some kind of focused light or magnification considering how the narrow diameter of said tenon is. It's difficult for me to capture the finer details on a mobile phone camera yet I'll try anyhow.
Probably nothing more than aluminum oxidation. You could try giving it a polish with a jeweler's cloth, but should smoke fine as is.

Reactions: chopper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you have a prickly pipe cleaner? That would tell you if anything is dusting off the metal, and it might clean it up. I worried about those scoring the airway, but my independent pipe shop owner says they are nylon bristles softer than the pipe materials.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I agree with the aluminum oxidation diagnosis. You could wrap some emery paper around a 6mm filter (most newer Grabows are all 6mm filter) to scrub the aluminum area out a bit.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
I am very thankful for the prompt and informative replies, everyone. I tried snapping some photos yesterday yet even with flash I couldn't save a favourable image.

Estate pipes have a special place in my heart because I view them like heirloom pieces, things worth preserving and passing down to those worthy of maintaining them. With the proper care I'll make this Duke last.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do you have a prickly pipe cleaner? That would tell you if anything is dusting off the metal, and it might clean it up. I worried about those scoring the airway, but my independent pipe shop owner says they are nylon bristles softer than the pipe materials.
You say they're nylon!?!? I'm going to go look closer at mine. I've jabbed myself on those before, thinking they were metal bristles. Also dont like using them due to fear of damage.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OP: Are you good with this pipe now?

And....

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Do you mean in a stinger? Or the grabow screw in? Those parts are an aluminum alloy. I'm not sure what the alloy is, but I've seen aluminum do some weird thing with acids. It could be that the acidity of the cake material and years of exposure to the acidity of pipe smoke has made it react. Once you clean the parts up, and if you keep it clear with a pipe cleaner after each smoke, it should remain fine.

Cleaning the oxides could be difficult. I would avoid using harsh chemicals made to clean silver and golds, because that could further the problem. Maybe sand papers from rough to polish.

I hope that helps somewhat. I'll also do a search for more info on aluminum polishing.