PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I like the oxidation. I guess because green is my favorite color. Actually, I too scared to mess with the stem, I’ll fuck it up. So I’ve talked my self into the notion that I like oxidation.
I like the taste of the greenish stuff so much I'm now cultivating the oxidation by storing my pipes in bright sunlight.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
When oxidation is advanced enough to discolor the stem, I have yet to find a substitute for simply sanding. I start with heavier grit to get the bulk of it, then go to lighter grit as I get closer to being done. It takes a while, it stinks, but it works.

Then polish and it's good to go.
I have come to realize that since this is a new, but cheapo H.I.S. pipe that I bought at a "head shop" the oxidation is not from teeth, spit and use, but from being under a florescent light. So the oxiclean did nothing but make it look worse, and in this case I do believe that sanding and polishing is the only option. I have micromesh pads from 1500-12000, so just work my way up the numbers? And do I use them wet or dry? Any other steps I'm missing?

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have come to realize that since this is a new, but cheapo H.I.S. pipe that I bought at a "head shop" the oxidation is not from teeth, spit and use, but from being under a florescent light. So the oxiclean did nothing but make it look worse, and in this case I do believe that sanding and polishing is the only option. I have micromesh pads from 1500-12000, so just work my way up the numbers? And do I use them wet or dry? Any other steps I'm missing?
Yeah, the oxidation is just from time. You could even start with more grit if you wanted to. I usually start at 400 and work up to 1000 to move things along a little quicker. After that a magic eraser is enough to get it smooth. I get the best results using just a little bit of water or saliva. It will take a while, and seem never ending, but keep plugging away and it will work.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Oxyclean will always make the oxidation look worse initially. It's an oxygen bleach, as opposed to a chlorine bleach, so it works by oxidizing. You'll always have to sand/polish if you use it.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths
Status
Not open for further replies.