PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, roth. If you like Brown Flake U/S and the CR Flake, I bet you'd like Best Brown #2, which (IRRC) has a touch of burley in it.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Overrated: Haddo's Delight. It is a good tobacco, but it isn't the tobacco I reach for first.
Underrated: Maltese Falcon. To me, it is a very well balanced tobacco that I can smoke all day.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
dpkrause I just threw a virtual tomato at you.
But Maltese Falcon is on my short list.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I think the whole point is -- there is no "wrong answer."
+1, unless delivered as gospel which is when feathers get ruffled.
Overrated: 1Q
Underrated: Holiday Excursion

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
@ paintedklown: No worries, I've been at this over a year and still have sampled less than twenty blends. Quality over quantity, and you have a good base of comparison with what you've been smoking. I might be a reverse snob, but most days I reach for PA first.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
Overrated: SG FVF.

Underrated: Presbytarian Mixture. I think it's the best Oriental of all.

Dec 24, 2012
My turn now:
Overrated - 1Q - I just scratch my head when I hear this is a best seller - to me it's like smoking air
Underrated: Rotary Navy Cut - a great flake with a light rum topping that I find delicious but nobody ever talks about

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I really enjoy Peterson Irish Flake. Have yet to try the others but would still like to. Only been smokin 2-3yrs. Anything similar to Irish Flake that I can get for cheaper?

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Freehand, if your looking for Latika but black house didn't do it for you, you can try Larry's blend which I think has more Latika in it *personal tadte* or ten to midnight which has a bit less. Both are hearth and Holmes blends.
I can't say anything is over rated, if I don't like something I jar it and more than likley do like it in a few months *i'm easy to please* but for under rated I really like black duck and hardly ever see it mentioned here.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Murf, I havn't smoked PIF but it is a VaPer isn't is? Of so check out Rothnh's post he listed several in detail and all great choices.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
on tobaccoreviews.com its contents are listed as: Burley, Kentucky, and Virginia. No perique listed.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Over Rated

OTCs. Yes, it's ironic how these low quality blends can be "over rated" but they seem to get a pass because of their longevity.

Lane blends. Loaded with chemicals and mediocre leaf lacking in any real tobacco flavor.

Altadis/Sutliff. I was impressed when Altadis came out with their "high end" Sutliff line, but it still just doesn't compare to the good stuff.

Peterson blends. These are all just Orlik mass-market blends with the Peterson name slapped on the can.

Drying tobacco. Sure, "crunchy" tobacco will burn better, but you're losing SO much flavor. If you have to dry tobacco overnight in order to keep it lit, you're not smoking. You're just standing next to a bowl of leaves on fire waiting for it to burn itself out.
Under Rated

House of Calabash. Again, it shouldn't make sense that these high end, VERY expensive blends could be "under rated". But where's the love for the truly high end leaf?

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Take this with a grain of salt, as mine lacks significant experience, but:
Overrated: Esoterica offerings. They sound amazing, but also remind me too much of many limited release cigars I chased for too long. I would love to try them ,and will, but in the end have always been able to find something just as satisfying in the realm of regular production.
Underrated: Peter Stokkebye bulks. Price factored in, this is cheaper in many cases than OTC tobaccos, and seems to perform beautifully and consistently. Just like my coffee, I love finding all the varied nuances of differing varietals, nationalities, and roast qualities, but have something clean, rich, and CHEAP, by the several pounds, on hand at any given time. o)

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I've seen 1Q as underrated and twice as overrated, haha. I hear a lot about it, never tried it.
Unfortunately I can't participate in the thread, I haven't tried enough different tobaccos yet.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
So, I guess I'd be looking for a VA/Bur, which a few have already been mentioned. I feel my TAD about to flare up...

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Overrated = FVF, Penzance and Stonehaven. they are fine examples of what they are but not worthy of the stampede or midnight browsing of all the tobacco sites.
Underrated = Gawith, Hoggarth blends in general. (I've seen guys standing in front a nice selection of GH bulk and whining about no SG tins) some of the better aero's like Firedance, Sunset Breeze, Autumn Evening. another sleeper is C&D's Crooked Lane.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Overrated:
Drying tobacco. Sure, "crunchy" tobacco will burn better, but you're losing SO much flavor. If you have to dry tobacco overnight in order to keep it lit, you're not smoking. You're just standing next to a bowl of leaves on fire waiting for it to burn itself out.
:clap:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
One more Underrated:
McClelland Jubilee. You might call this a "light English." Whatever you call it, it's perfectly balanced, complex and tasty. Mostly very soft, light brown, matured VA's, with a small share of orientals, a touch of perique (giving it a slight tang) and a light touch of latakia (more fragrant than smokey.
I think reviewer "Sasquatch" (aka pipemaker Todd Bannard of Briar Sweat and Tears) describes it best:
This is incredible. Light English? Whatever... it's sweet, full, tasty, biteless.... best all day tobacco ever. This stuff is stupidly good. Perfectly balanced flavors, excellent smoking properties. Wow.
Jubilee was one of the first blends I tried when I first started smoking -- just a random purchase at the B&M. Underwhelmed at first (I was still learning to coax flavor out of burning leaves), I later realized how awesome this stuff is.

Status
Not open for further replies.