PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Hello all. Since Christmas I have been enjoying Royal Yacht. This is my first aromatic blend (besides Clan, which probably doesn't count ha ha). From what I have heard and read, aromatics are said to need extra drying out time.

At first I was not drying out for really long, and thus ran into some, just slight, moisture and tongue bite issues.

I have since gave the tobacco more drying time. And have not had the previous issues.

Although I think the flavour is less, the plum doesn't seem to be a obvious or intense as it did before.

Could I be over drying?
I read someone mention that the flavour can evaporate.
Is this true? Or maybe I am just becoming used to the plum flavour.

What's your thoughts on drying out aromatics? Maybe drying out Peterson's Royal Yacht specifically. Thanks.

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I dry tobaccos to the point that you can take a big pinch and squeeze it, and none of the leaves stick together.. just fall away loose. It’s then dry enough. However you don’t want the tobacco to be “crispy” to the point it just crumbles. You should still be able to bend a ribbon without it snapping.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The opposite of what you heard is true: aromatics are NOT to be dried too much lest they lose flavour. If tongue burn is an issue you need to work on your cadence and/or packing, or use a filter (balsa is very good for soaking up moisture), or use a pipe that doesn't build too much moisture in the heel (bent pipes appear to have more of a moisture build-up than straight ones), or a combination of these.

If you dry an aro to 'bone dry', might as well smoke cardboard, or an English blend. ;)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So drying out aromatics causes the flavor to evaporate but setting them on fire doesn't. ?

I set out some Devil's Holiday last night to dry while I slept. Bone dry and still tastes like the tin note. May be another subjective thing.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
it's been some months since i had aromatic. after trying english, i haven't touched aromatics. but dryness of a blend is subjective. you havd to find what you are comfortable with. if it's wet, there's the issue with bite. if too dry, it will lose flavor and possibly harsh. i do pinch the tobacco to feel dryness every 5 min to see if it's at where i likd the blend. once i know where i like the blend, usually just wait till that point to double check and load.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Royal Yacht is barely an aromatic, the topping is quite light, so more dry time could improve this blend, IMO, as it is much more tobacco driven than topping driven.

I prefer most aromatics, the goopier ones anyway, right out of the tin.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
So Royal Yacht is very lightly flavoured to begin with, so it makes sense that drying it (even just for a short while?) will result in an absence of flavour.
I was keen to try it when I first got the tin and just filled a bowl. That explains why I got more noticable plum taste at first... At least I have not become numb to plum ha ha

Can anyone recommend some aros that hold their topping flavours more and are not trash. I would like to try aromatics that can be smoked on the drier side, so as to avoid the bite.

What's with the hate on Royal Yacht though? ha ha
I thought it was pretty nice tbh

Reactions: rushx9 and jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
are not trash
Can't think of one that is trash. According to statistics, aro sales keep this boat afloat.
I would like to try aromatics that can be smoked on the drier side, so as to avoid the bite.
With your liking of Royal Yacht I would say give Erinmore Flake a try. For a more heavier flavored aromatic, most of C&D's aros can be smoked drier. Notably Autumn Evening.

Reactions: rushx9 and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my aromatics tobacco forward, including Royal Yacht. I often dry blends in a bowl for hours or a day or two, or pack a pipe for the next day, and it doesn't seem to undo the flavoring, but I am more interested in the leaf than the flavoring.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
So Royal Yacht is very lightly flavoured to begin with, so it makes sense that drying it (even just for a short while?) will result in an absence of flavour.
I was keen to try it when I first got the tin and just filled a bowl. That explains why I got more noticable plum taste at first... At least I have not become numb to plum ha ha

Can anyone recommend some aros that hold their topping flavours more and are not trash. I would like to try aromatics that can be smoked on the drier side, so as to avoid the bite.

What's with the hate on Royal Yacht though? ha ha
I thought it was pretty nice tbh
It’s just one of those blends that seems to get a love/hate response here. There are a few that are constantly controversial, haha.

I like most aros right out of the tin. You shouldn’t be getting bit by them if your cadence is appropriate. But to answer your question MacBaren Vanilla Flake is pretty good dried out, so is Rattrays bagpipers dream. Those are the only one’s I’ve tried really dry, because I left them out on accident. I find aros better with less drying time.

Status
Not open for further replies.