PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I smoke outside only. Any pipe will work. If it's truly miserable, do you really want to be out there? Occasionally wind, rain and so on, just put your hand to cup the top. Don't completely cover it.
I cup it/palm it too. This will make me smell like smoke so much more than if I kept my hand away. This could be bad if you have to step into an office or client meeting after smoking. When working from home this is my method of choice.

Windcaps make you look like a pompous ass 😜

The only real solution is to find some shelter or wear a jacket with a hood that extends a few inches outboard of your face profile.

One should not be dissuaded from pipe smoking in the wind though. Over time i have learned that this is the best time to smoke wet blends; they will require almost no relights. You just have to make the wind work for you and keep your ember going. Turn away if it gets going too good.

A harsh wind can make dry tobacco burn too hot so instead I use it to get the denser goopier blends to burn nicely.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What king of pipe is best for smoking outdoors I a windy climate?

A Missouri Meerschaum cob.

$5 and up.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I am an Exclusively-Outdoor-Pipe-Smoker (EOPS©) - I use any pipe I feel like smoking. But windy conditions bring up another interesting question: what did old time sailors/pirates do to deal with the wind on deck while smoking? Navy Flake smokes a bit slower, so maybe that helped with the heat. Maybe, just had to keep it below deck - what did they do?!

Reactions: Highlandpiper

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I am an Exclusively-Outdoor-Pipe-Smoker (EOPS©) - I use any pipe I feel like smoking. But windy conditions bring up another interesting question: what did old time sailors/pirates do to deal with the wind on deck while smoking? Navy Flake smokes a bit slower, so maybe that helped with the heat. Maybe, just had to keep it below deck - what did they do?!
They didn't smoke in the wind, at least not in heavy wind. At a certain point the wind makes it essentially impossible to smoke.

I live on the Oregon coast, with lots of wind, and sometimes I have to either smoke indoors or not smoke at all.

Reactions: sparker69

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
They didn't smoke in the wind, an least not in heavy wind. At a certain point the wind makes it essentially impossible to smoke.

I live on the Oregon coast, with lots of wind, and sometimes I have to either smoke indoors or not smoke at all.
Yeah - I was always curious about that. Figuring there would be a good amount of wind at all times on the open sea.

Reactions: Briar Tuck