PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One simply adjusts to whatever elements are buffeting or soaking you. It doesn't take a lot of effort, just some forethought before going out into thos elements. Turning one's back, a wind cap, holding the pipe in such a manner as to deflect, a jacket with face shield or "wings on the hood, there are all sorts of ways to cope with wind when necessary. Nothing too complicated with a bit of thought but, you gotta want to be out in it. If you don't revel foul weather, I do, you probably won't want the attendant problems. You're better surrendering and staying comfy in your PJs in the house ... like a wimp!rotf

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I've read that they mostly chewed while on the seas. Kind of a fire hazard smoking on a big wooden structure. puffy

If I needed the nicotine, I'd probably use snuff more regularly this time of year.
Interesting. I know later on, on the Antarctic voyage of the Endurance, they did smoke inside, but I don't know if it was confined to a certain area of the ship or not.
Yeah - I'm good for the nicotine. Before I started smoking a pipe and was just smoking cigars, I would take the winter as some down time, to take a break and make sure that I wasn't starting to have any sort of dependency issue. During the regular season, with the pipe, I've increased - but we're talking four or five bowls a week at most. Sometimes only two or three.