PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
You can buy a brand new briar pipe for $40 or a corn cob pipe for $5 from legit online shops like SmokingPipes.com, so why mess around with Chinese pipes from eBay that may have all kinds of toxic materials in them. I would only buy pipes like that to blow bubbles, never to smoke from.
Completely agree. Some people look down on the humble cob but they smoke great. I haven't noticed my briars smoking any better than my cobs.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Having bought the pipe, my impression is that the OP is seeking validation to use it. And is somewhat peeved by the negative comments.

All members are entitled to pose any question they choose. There are very few rules.
But in so doing, you're open to opinions which are not necessarily going to agree with yours.

Reactions: chopper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
China aside
You can't leave China out of a response as you ID'd the pipe as being of Chinese origin. It's probably the singular most important part of description of the pipe you are speaking to.

If, however, the pipe you describe was not mainland China produced I'd have doubts as to how well it would smoke. I didn't like either the smoking traits of Brylon, the heft nor the looks. But, the pipe does originate from the mainland and therefore, in my opinion and, based on their track record over the years makes it suspect. You didn't suggest the pipe was made under the name of a Western country with their oversight regarding materials and production. So, "red flags" indeed!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper
H

Henry_L

The resin pipe was an add-on to an order some time ago. I am a fully satisfied user of briar, morta, missouri meerschaum and pearwood pipes. Maybe I should have indicated that in the starting post.

Also for the record I am not a China lobbyist (have friends in Taiwan--would agonize if anything happened there) nor am I a stockholder in any resin industry. As I've encountered no other pipes with a full metal insert I was curious about others experience and info within the pipe community here. Wasn't grasping for anyone's support. Resin pipes are not that uncommon.

Note to OzPiper: when did you become telepathic?

H

Henry_L

Completely agree. Some people look down on the humble cob but they smoke great. I haven't noticed my briars smoking any better than my cobs.
Have one Missouri Meerschaum which I like. It's the other pipe I use for occasional cigar tobacco. Cigar tobacco use requires a dedicated pipe -- you don't mix them. Wouldn't think of trying cigar tobacco in my morta or briar.

H

Henry_L

You can't leave China out of a response as you ID'd the pipe as being of Chinese origin. It's probably the singular most important part of description of the pipe you are speaking to.

If, however, the pipe you describe was not mainland China produced I'd have doubts as to how well it would smoke. I didn't like either the smoking traits of Brylon, the heft nor the looks. But, the pipe does originate from the mainland and therefore, in my opinion and, based on their track record over the years makes it suspect. You didn't suggest the pipe was made under the name of a Western country with their oversight regarding materials and production. So, "red flags" indeed!
In China I think it all depends on post-production screening & values. I purchased a carbon steel straight razor from Aliexpress and was prepared for disappointment. It turned out to be the equal of most of my European razors. As to the resin pipe I was curious about the interior metal bowl. New to me. Apparently from the forum response it's not that common. I can't see any appeal for using with pipe tobacco.

H

Henry_L

I would be worried by two things: 1. Although there are surely temperature-resistant resins in the world, how do you know this Chinese manufacturer didn’t include ingredients which are not resistant? How did they test their product, if at all? 2. How do you know what the metal is? BTW, mercury vapor (released from contaminants in the metal, for example), is much more toxic than liquid mercury.
I'm not saying there is a problem. I hope not. But I have no idea how you would know if there is one. My daughter lived in China for a while. When she came back she told me stories which made my hair stand on end.
Wish you well!
Thanks. A similar concern could be raised with the lacquer used on some briar pipe bowls. Missouri Meerschaums are spray-coated with acrylic lacquer and some have metal ferrules in the stem. Resin/metal questions seem legit for a number of non China pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.