PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We've had no nicotine posts, now no flavor... next, "What if pipe tobacco made no smoke?" posts should be next.
it would be mediocre chew or could be vaped. Which weirdly some pipe tobaccos are kind of good that way. What's weird is it seems to be inversed to what smokes good. Yeah I have tried that for reasons. And while curiosity was sated it wasn't really ever repeated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think I smoke for nicotine. The occasional buzz is a treat but not an objective. When I don't smoke for days or weeks, I don't crave nicotine. So the flavor and other sensory aspects are the main event for me. I smoke a pipe or two a day, sometimes none.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I don't think I smoke for nicotine. The occasional buzz is a treat but not an objective. When I don't smoke for days or weeks, I don't crave nicotine. So the flavor and other sensory aspects are the main event for me. I smoke a pipe or two a day, sometimes none.
just because you're not addicted doesn't mean you don't smoke in part for the nicotine. I wonder if there are any predictable times you crave a pipe more then others. If it's times of stress or unique tranquility I'd venture your body is asking for some nicotine. But that's just my wild assumption.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
When I try quitting cigs (once or twice a year, just gotta keep trying) or when I switched from Camels to American Spirits I find / found that the actual nicotine cravings are very fleeting, they come on and go within a minute or two. I did notice they can be back to back and seem like a long graving though. The hardest part about quitting is the habit, the time you set aside, activities you tie to smoking, etc. I write this because if your not heavily addicted then the nic craving can come and go so fast it’s barely noticeable but the mental addiction to the enjoyment of the process sticks with us and eats at our will until we cave lol.

Reactions: UncleRasta

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
When I try quitting cigs (once or twice a year, just gotta keep trying) or when I switched from Camels to American Spirits I find / found that the actual nicotine cravings are very fleeting, they come on and go within a minute or two. I did notice they can be back to back and seem like a long graving though. The hardest part about quitting is the habit, the time you set aside, activities you tie to smoking, etc. I write this because if your not heavily addicted then the nic craving can come and go so fast it’s barely noticeable but the mental addiction to the enjoyment of the process sticks with us and eats at our will until we cave lol.
addiction is a strange process and is all about the way our brains work and react. It's got a lot of ins and out to it too. Though what worked for me to quit cigs which I did by accident was finding los snus. I got snus so I wouldn't have to suffer at work when I couldn't get a smoke break in. Immediately thought why would I ever smoke a cigarette when I can do this.

1allspub

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Sun City, AZ
I can’t imagine I’d have stuck with it if there wasn’t any flavor... just would have lost interest. I don’t think I am addicted to nicotine as I can go weeks (even months) without smoking if necessary without missing anything but the routine of a daily/nightly smoke (be it pipe or cigar). so for me I think it‘s really all about the flavor... take that way (from a pipe or cigar) and it would seem like a rather fruitless and pointless exercise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do I smoke for nicotine? It's a fair point. The fact that I assume I don't doesn't mean I don't. It just seems that if nicotine were a major draw, it would be more directly obvious. It's like, a person who drinks one glass of wine a day and only with a meal might be dependent on that, even though he/she can't be classified as an alcoholic. Self-assessment is always suspect to a degree. Or, what takes me back to a pipe after a week or two off? Why not just "stay quit?" But it gets to be a pretty fine point. I'd say I have a low susceptibility to nicotine habituation, though I may hear its distant call more than I think. Hair splitting but likely true.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
nicotine is a subtle drug. But it's sublime. What does that mean? It means the effects of it are actually pretty profound but also very subtle. It honestly has about the same level of effect on someone as cocaine does, where even if you don't know what cocaine is you'll know something is up and different with someone who has just taken some. And the cravings for it can be subtle. We've all known a person who only smokes if they're drinking or during finals week. In both of those situations the nicotine helps the person deal with those situations and the rest of the time they don't need the help. Often they will say I just enjoy it or it helps me relax a little bit. And then people that are like me and scattered brained messes are like nicotine is awesome and I will kill you to get some. :)