4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 27, 2020
it's the same as with his films - I know a lot about Welles but was letting everyone else do the talking as I was enjoying the thread - Ms. Kodar(his companion) mentioned how by the end of his life Orson was left for dead and ripped off - he was promised the world in financing and got nothing - goes to show how GREAT he was to work on such a budget and to be consistently undervalued though never underappreciated

I rewatched Citizen Kane recently, perhaps appreciated it even more than the previous time but it's also hard to watch objectively, in the sense that I find it hard to judge it without thinking about all the innovations which it employed.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Did you watch that quasi documentary Wells made which was recently released? Bagdonovitch played a character based on Wells in it. Can't say I really enjoyed it, seemed a bit self indulgent...
Yes, I especially didn't enjoy the sex scene - the movie was a take on Antonioni post-existentialist films - it was lousy - something...the wind - other side of the wind

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
it's the same as with his films - I know a lot about Welles but was letting everyone else do the talking as I was enjoying the thread - Ms. Kodar(his companion) mentioned how by the end of his life Orson was left for dead and ripped off - he was promised the world in financing and got nothing - goes to show how GREAT he was to work on such a budget and to be consistently undervalued though never underappreciated
At least he go to play a planet.

Universe-war-Teletraan-I-The-Transformers-Wiki-FANDOM-.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To be fair, Wells was his own worst enemy. One way or another, he fucked over almost everyone who crossed his path. That isn't a sound career path, even for an enfant terrible.

I love his films and am grateful I never knew him personally, so his personality doesn't get in the way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, sometimes you don't want to meet your heroes in the arts. Saul Bellow has long been my favorite novelist, long before he won the Nobel. But when I attended a reception where he was the honored guest, I decided I didn't want to spoil our beautiful relationship, so I didn't go meet him. He was somewhat famous for being difficult.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
To be fair, Wells was his own worst enemy. One way or another, he fucked over almost everyone who crossed his path. That isn't a sound career path, even for an enfant terrible.

I love his films and am grateful I never knew him personally, so his personality doesn't get in the way.
Tell us some stories - I'm sure you've met many people who had run ins with the largesse of this man

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I didn't want to seem like I was trying to impress any of the many handsome, intelligent men here but, Orson Wells was actually my godfather. My family is very resolute about not divulging anything too personal about him but I am happy to tell anyone who is interested about his pipe smoking habits, how he would clean his pipes (with Chablis and snail eggs believe it or not; a secret he picked up in France from Bresson), etc.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I didn't want to seem like I was trying to impress any of the many handsome, intelligent men here but, Orson Wells was actually my godfather. My family is very resolute about not divulging anything too personal about him but I am happy to tell anyone who is interested about his pipe smoking habits, how he would clean his pipes (with Chablis and snail eggs believe it or not; a secret he picked up in France from Bresson), etc.
Chablis and snail eggs?
I would love to know more.

• Haha
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee