PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I just saw a fairly new thread with a newbie review of Orlik Golden Sliced, one of my favorite tobaccos.

It reminded me of my cool discovery after visiting the factory, publishing my own review, and following up with my contact there back in 2011.

After my follow-up post, this blew up in all the pipe forums, and blogs back in 2011.

The Revelation

The Prior Review - it's cool to see the difference between the export version, and the domestic (Danish) version here.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I have to admit i wouldn't be impressed with getting a pouch vs can especially since i usually celler ogs. Do they just smoke it fresh normally? I do like the look of the long slice. That would be fine in a tin.

Reactions: BROBS

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It’s a fair discovery, although it’s kind of funny that the big reveal was that OGS was a Va/Per. Virginia, AND Perique you say? Do those even go together? Haha.

• Haha
Jun 9, 2018
England
I have a 20 year old tin that I'm currently smoking and that tastes like a proper vaper to me. Maybe it's the aging process, the flake was very dark.
I've never smoked it fresh as it's not available in the UK anymore.

Reactions: BROBS and Tommy Boy

birddogpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2020
I just saw a fairly new thread with a newbie review of Orlik Golden Sliced, one of my favorite tobaccos.

It reminded me of my cool discovery after visiting the factory, publishing my own review, and following up with my contact there back in 2011.

After my follow-up post, this blew up in all the pipe forums, and blogs back in 2011.

The Revelation

The Prior Review - it's cool to see the difference between the export version, and the domestic (Danish) version here.

I'm glad you saw my review, yours have been really helpful to me. Any critiques you can come up with would be welcome.

Reactions: admin

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I just opened a 7 y/o tin, and had previously only smoked it at 2 y/o or less. There were significant differences IMO. The most noticeable were (1) a molasses/brown sugar taste, and (2) the zip of fresh bright Va was muted into a clove or even muted hop spiciness. To be clear, neither of these were strong, just a constant darker undertones to what was still primarily the same old citrusy/hay taste.

• Love

gaffersweed

Lurker
May 3, 2020
excellent posts. I've only tried Reiner Long Golden Flake which is excellent (I have an old pop top tin aging for last 11 years)