PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
I just got a shipment of Latakia based blends: GLP Chelsea Morning, GLP Odyssey, GLP Key Largo, GLP Piccadilly.
Key Largo is great as is the Haddo's Delight I received. (wish I bought the bigger tins in both of those)
I must say that the Chelsea Morning has some orientals in it, but I could not register them...
However, the Odyssey - just tastes like nasty cigarettes. Is it all orientals that taste like cigarettes? Should I just avoid orientals?
Any former cigarette smoker can still imagine the taste - yick!
Will this tin lose the cigarette taste with age? I dont think Im going to smoke unless it loses that taste.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Orientals are a pretty huge amount of different tobacco's, but I'd say if you absolutely don't like something age probably isn't going to make a difference. Here's a review of Odyssey by the forums owner, he states it's a medium to strong blend. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/g-l-pease-odyssey-pipe-tobacco-review/ It could be Turkish Izmir that's giving you the cigarette like taste, but as a Canadian I find bright Va's to give a cigarette like taste as our cigarettes are virginia and american cigs are burley and turkish izir with bright Va's. So it could be the combination of Izmir and Va's in the odyssey doing it. I find Izir to be quite strong but I like it. But frankly I find alot of the orientals to be sweet and are a great part of most english blends.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I was gifted a tin of odyssey and I'm ashamed to say I gave it away, too latakia heavy for me, I sometimes like the whole smokey taste, but it was too much for me!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Odyssey has got to be approaching, if not right at, 50% latakia. I'm guessing it's the latakia that put you off of it.
I find Chelsea Morning to be basically a VA / oriental blend, spiced with latakia and perique.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I was in the same boat as the OP; orientals were just too harsh and they tasted like a cigarette to me as well (my experience is limited to EMP). And like the OP I sought the advice of you good folks. Some suggested letting it dry a bit more than usual. Some said to dedicate it to a virgin pipe. And another said to slow down more than usual as well. I did all three and I now love orientals: or at least EMP. I also think the trick is to pay particular attention to the floral notes that are unique to these blends. Either way, I wouldn't give it up just yet if I were you.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
EMP gets it's cigarette like taste from the bright Va's used in it, the orientals provide the sweetness, the orientals aren't giving you the cigarette like taste in EMP. If you want a great introduction to orientals try the McClelland grand orientals line or I highly recommend newminister english oriental, it has a great sweet taste to it with just a touch of latkia, all in all it's one of my top smokes.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I would have to disagree with you on that Andrew. Oriental tobacco is frequently used in cigarettes, along with VAs and Burley. I've had all three individually and only the oriental blends have given me that cigarette taste. But like I said, I haven't had that much experience with this genre. Interestingly, my next venture into orientals is one of your suggestions, McClelland's Classic Samsun. So I should have a better point of reference very soon.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have been thoroughly impressed with the selections I have had from McClelland's Grand Oriental Line. Specifically the Classic Samsun (rich and woodsy), and the Yenidij Agonya (nice blend of sweet and sour flavors). If you want to learn more about oriental pipe tobaccos, I highly recommend this line!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I would try Rattray's Red Raparree, and a couple from the McClelland Grand Oriental line and maybe McConnell Oriental. I would say the Drama, Smyrna and Samsun from the GO line should give you a broad range. Izmir is rather forward, so Izmir and Smyrna may be off for you. I find most of the others have either a spicy, curry essence or a dry citrus feel. If none of them turns your crank, Orientals are probably not for you right now. That's ok, because they are definitely for me and I don't need competition in the field.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Brand: Dunhill

Blender: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S

Tin Description: Sweet Oriental carefully blended with Bright and Red Virginias, pressed and lightly stoved. Great as the 'first pipe' arousing the palate for the further pleasures of the day.

Country of Origin: DK

Curing Group: Air Cured

Contents: Virginia, Oriental, Latakia

Cut: Ribbon

Packaging: 50g tin

http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/dunhill-early-morning-pipe
Sweet orientals.
facepalm.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a little vague on Orientals as a category. Do Balkans count? Does Izmir Turkish count, or blends with Izmir

forward? So far I have found these a bit harsh, not the charm of English or well-done aromatics, Va/Per, or

burley blends. But nice occasional blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.