Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
What is meant by oriental/turkish tobaccos having a spicy taste?

Is it spicy as in hot/peppery or more along the lines of rosemary/sage etc?

Recommendations for tinned oriental/turkish blends for a newbie to try that are low nicotine.
Thank you
Tb

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
More like an incense, or musk. Very pleasant. In nearly thirty years of smoking a pipe, I've found that I prefer oriental forward blends over Latakia.
Yenidje Highlander or Cairo would be my recommendations.

Mar 1, 2014
One of the most interesting things I learned early on was that Orientals are a critical component in a good Latakia blend, possibly even more important than the Latakia itself. Smoke some bulk Latakia straight and you'll find it's mostly flavorless, lots of smell, not much to taste (at least that was the case with the sample I had).

On the other hand add some bulk Latakia to G.L. Pease Cairo and you have one of the best Latakia blends on the market.

Of course G.L. Pease sells a dozen blends with that done already, but it's interesting sampling the components individually.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You need to try some other Latakias! I have some uncut Lataka from wholleaftobacco.com that is quite wonderful. The blending lat from GH is bland.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Is it spicy as in hot/peppery or more along the lines of rosemary/sage etc?
It's a more tea leaf like spice that gives a lot of latakia blends their complexity. I'll second all the above recommendations and will add SG Skiff Mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.