PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
I’m primarily a Virginia smoker but occasionally enjoy a little Latakia, and have recently really taken a liking to some oriental-forward English (or Balkan, depending on what your definition of Balkan is) where the Latakia is in a support role rather than up front. In particular I’ve been really enjoying Chelsea Morning, Fusiliers Ration, and Durbar and I’m looking for some recommendations in that style of English. Thanks for any advice!

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
A really good and unique Balkan ie D&R Ramback Balkan. There is no latakia in it so you really taste the orientals. I enjoy it "as is" but sometimes I'll add some latakia to it, it's good both ways.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Another vote for John Cotton's Smyrna also consider Peter Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme
If you liked Fusilier's Ration then you'll love SToP's Bengal Slices

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I find Sutliff English Oriental quite oriental forward in a good way. If you can find it, might be worth a try.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Red Rapparee is excellent, in the same camp as Smyrna and Durbar, sharp and sour, and still with a little Latakia backbone. Another decent blend is C&D's Rajah's Court. White Knight and (even better) Peretti Royal are excellent clones of the old Sobranie White.
McConnell Oriental is one of the greatest blends ever. I like it (and to a lesser extent Presbyterian) aged 5-10, to the point where the Latakia has almost completely died and only left behind a little leather, with the musty, floral Orientals. Pure nirvana.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
+1 for Samara, another all-time classic for me that I’ve enjoyed since it first came out. Even fresh the Latakia isn’t in the lead but with a little age the Latakia steps even further back and the orientals and red VAs just sing.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’ve seen a lot of praise for JC Smyrna, will have to grab a tin of that for sure. Samarra and McConnells Oriental sound right up my alley as well.

balindamood

Lurker
Oct 1, 2018
A bit of a sleeper is Iwan Ries Balkan Supreme. Maybe not the pedigree of the others mentioned here, but readily available.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
+1 for Samara, another all-time classic for me that I’ve enjoyed since it first came out. Even fresh the Latakia isn’t in the lead but with a little age the Latakia steps even further back and the orientals and red VAs just sing.
Totally agreed, Tfdickson. To my mind it's the only Pease that fits this particular bill, even though others might claim to be 'full Balkans.'

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I just finished a bowl of Balkan Supreme, it's good. Durbar was a favorite, along with London Mixture. Westminster is an excellent substitute for LM. I like Peterson Balkan Delight a lot too, I don't think it gets enough credit.
Just ordered some Chelsea Morning last night. So many great blends to try...

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I really like the Oriental presentation in GLP Abingdon and Sutliff Balkan II. Both may have a little more Latakia than you prefer but, the Oriental ratio is right in my wheelhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.