PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
So I'm sitting there trying to think of which blends go best with which pipes in order to justify the purchase of more pipes, when I realize that I've been categorizing everything by pipe and then trying to think of blends that go well with it, which usually ends in me listing the same blends over and over, when I could be categorizing by blend and then trying to think of pipes that go well with that blend.

I think doing it that way could end up with a much larger list of pipes.

But maybe other people have better systems?
What do you find is the best logical method to encourage owning the most pipes?

(Currently I am the only person who needs convincing, but maybe a well thought out system could save me some grief in the future.)

Mar 1, 2014
Ok, to simplify things:

I just want to hear what thought process people go through when they buy a pipe and they already think they have too many.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I choose pipes and tobacco independently of one another. Some pipes are for any tobacco, and others only for Latakia blends, regardless of shape or bowl capacity. It's likely that future pipes will be restricted to Latakia, since that is what I'm focused on. I don't smoke my Cobs much, but those are for all blends, too.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a sufficient number of pipes. That does not translate to too many or enough. When in a pipe store I am always scanning the displays. If a pipe catches my eye I will ask to see it. I check to see if it fits my fist. I then inspect the workmanship, fit and finish. If it meets my criteria and has a certain something I can't quite define, I will most likely purchase it.
That's my routine. I never consider purchasing a pipe on-line excepting cobs from the manufacturer.
I did purchase a Falcon on-line with four bowls simply because I was curious about the brand.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nai7H0Um.jpg

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
My method has always been to purchase pipes that call to me. If it is a pipe with quite a bit if age, is unique and unsmoked, then I will usually never smoke it.
Then there are the pipes I purchase with the intent of smoking. I never buy a pipe, then pressure myself to smoke it immediately. I simply add the pipe to my collection, and if at some point down the road, I decide to select a pipe for a particular blend, I start searching my collection for a match. I will usually always use larger bowled pipes for ribbon cut and ready rubbed blends, and reserve smaller pipes for flakes and ropes.
My cobs get a lot of action, and cobs are where most new blends get tested, before dedicating a particular pipe to a particular blend.
The great thing about considering myself a pipe collector, is that I need no justification, in any aspect of pipe collecting. If the pipe calls to me, I purchase it. Ditto on justification for a total number of pipes in my collection.
Consider this. What type of collection would a stamp or coin collector amass, if they held themselves to a total of 30 pieces? Probably the only way I could bring myself to hold my collection to 30 pieces, is if I only had 30 pieces of a particular brand or make.
If you are reading this post, and can't identify with what I am pontificating, then I would submit that you simply do not have "Pipe Fever." :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.