PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm getting into a logistics crunch for 2023: expected is that EU countries won't allow the online sales of tobacco anymore. In basis this means I have to build my cellar this year, as the Netherlands is a pipe tobacco desert in general and I mailorder from Germany. I'm still testing blends I have now into inventory, but I really have to order more tobacco to keep my cellar up to speed as I'm not smoking enough to test everything I have to be tested. I think I have about 3 years worth of tobacco in my cellar right now, my aim is to go for about 5 to 7 years.

I do know this is a crapshoot in general, but what are or were tobaccos you think you can buy a few pounds of without testing it? What would be your selection process? Would you check reviews, YouTube, this or other forum(s)? A suggestion could also be to save my money now and test the blends I have, buy a lot in the last few months of the year, but I really want to be in front of the game for availability.

And to be clear, I'm talking Europe available tobaccos, American blenders or producers like c&d, glp and sutliff are out of the conversation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It al depends on what you prefer to smoke, which is not stated in your post.
One choice would be Capstan Blue, which can e bought in bulk from Esterval's, HU Director's Cut is another that is available in bulk pack from Esterval's. Look at MacBaren, K&K, and other EU blenders.
You need to state your preferences.

Reactions: JOHN72 and DanWil84

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
It's hard. I have been trying blends for 20 years and still my tastes change. There is a VaPer I have 20+ tins of that I am now planning to sell or trade because I don't smoke it much anymore since I discovered something I prefer. It's a journey. Not really something you can predict.
Good point, im more willing to invest now and take a risk than having to invest time and money in visiting Germany a lot instead of replenish the stock once a year for example.

It al depends on what you prefer to smoke, which is not stated in your post.
One choice would be Capstan Blue, which can e bought in bulk from Esterval's, HU Director's Cut is another that is available in bulk pack from Esterval's. Look at MacBaren, K&K, and other EU blenders.
You need to state your preferences.

That's the point, I can't point to what I like now. I have a favor for Presbyterian and 965/Red Raparree like Englishes which aren't that heavy on Latakia and I really like VaPer with a bit of Oriental in it like Ascanian #1 and #2. I have stocked up on those for a few years. The suggestion of looking at what producer you like now is a good one, the main of my cellar is Macbarren and what I haven't cellared from them was actually quite good.

Bulk options are for USA clients only by the way, some are in semi bulk 250 gram bags but most are just 50/100 gram tins.

Im not really looking for suggestions on a certain tobacco, but more on how you could select a tobacco without testing it. Risky yes, but the rewards could be greater on that than to wait and try everything I should have.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I was going to suggest Estervals and think MacBaren may be available too.

I would buy about 1 to 5 pounds of a standard Latakia blend (Balkan Supreme), burley, vanilla aromatic, and Virgina as a base. Then I would do the same with favorites I know while going "blind" on various flakes, ropes, and plugs.

If MacBaren is available and you aren't adverse to them (some people get bit or don't care for the sauce), it would be Golden Mixture, Scottish Mixture, Club Blend, Vanilla Roll Cake, and various HH mixtures.

If Newminster is available, Superior Navy Flake, and Superior Round Slices.

But I'm currently into flakes and coins with a vanilla aromatic in the mix (especially the first smoke of the day) with a basic coder blend on hand (like a lawn mowing beer that is consistent and has its place).

Another strategy I would need to think about is stocking up on tins of what others really like in order to trade (like Capstan Blue, which I enjoy but like other flakes better).

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Simple fix, pick five current favorites and buy ten pounds of each of them for a buffer. If the market goes to hell you're set for years. If it doesn't you'll have time to peruse new blends.
Great to see someone rationalize my overthinking.

@The Amish Tyrant good suggestions, thank you! I actually quite disliked Capstan dare I say.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Good point, im more willing to invest now and take a risk than having to invest time and money in visiting Germany a lot instead of replenish the stock once a year for example.

That's the point, I can't point to what I like now. I have a favor for Presbyterian and 965/Red Raparree like Englishes which aren't that heavy on Latakia and I really like VaPer with a bit of Oriental in it like Ascanian #1 and #2. I have stocked up on those for a few years. The suggestion of looking at what producer you like now is a good one, the main of my cellar is Macbarren and what I haven't cellared from them was actually quite good.

Bulk options are for USA clients only by the way, some are in semi bulk 250 gram bags but most are just 50/100 gram tins.

Im not really looking for suggestions on a certain tobacco, but more on how you could select a tobacco without testing it. Risky yes, but the rewards could be greater on that than to wait and try everything I should have.
I don't cellar anything I haven't tried first. I don't want to spend money on something that I may hate.

Look at cellaring more of the types of tobacco you have found enjoyable. Order a couple of Va/Pers, since you like that Ascanian. HU offers several Va/Pers.

Look at reviews on Tobacco Reviews. JimInks' will give you a very good description of his tasting experiences and there are a few others, like steelcowboy, drums&beer, Dmkerr, whose reviews are astute. I personally don't rely too heavily on reviews as I really need to smoke a blend to know anything about it. Reviews are occasionally good for knowing what blends to avoid, since there are some flavor profiles I flat out hate.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Buy lots of what you know you like and single tins of stuff you think you may like, based on reviews. Like Chasing Embers says, pick 5, or 10 or whatever, favorites, stock up on those and get single tins of all the blends that seem interesting.
That way you will have enough to smoke and still have the opportunity to try new stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's hard to predict your preferences. You can do that best, and you may or may not be able to predict how your preferences will change over time. The best you can do, I think, is to take an account of what you most enjoy now. Do you prefer Virginia or burley based blends, some of each, or something else?

Which condimental tobaccos do you find in your favorite five or six blends?

One approach would be to buy a hefty supply of good base blends -- blends of Virginias or burleys, and then be prepared to mix your own blends using a variety of condiments -- Orientals, Turkish, unflavored and/or flavored Cavendish, dark fired, Latakia, Perique, and so on. This way you will be able to provide yourself some variety by varying the proportions you mix. You won't be dependent entirely on specific blends on an unending basis.

Meantime, stock up on some of your current favorites and hope for the best.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

All you can do is purchase based on blend types you like (Scottish, VaPer, etc) or explore single tins of other blends made by a favored manufacturer (have you tried all of MacBaren's offerings?).

You're already doing well with the Ascanian nos. 1 and 2. Just branch out from there. Do make sure you grab a tin or 3 of Meistermischung no 88. It's a fantastic straight Virginia.

Reactions: JOHN72 and DanWil84

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Look up you favorites on Tobbacoreviews.com and hopefully find someone with the same tastes and see what else they like. Do you have a local pipe club? Ask to trade samples.

Order now a tin of each of your best options and spend a day with each, only smoking that one blend that day and see which you miss afterwards.

Time for a family driving vacation to Germany and Denmark! Maybe one of the manufacturers will cut you a deal if you buy in bulk. Can you borrow a van?

Any popular blend you don't like later you could trade.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Simple fix, pick five current favorites and buy ten pounds of each of them for a buffer. If the market goes to hell you're set for years. If it doesn't you'll have time to peruse new blends.
I think this is the best advice. If you decide to lay in some untried blends, all is not not lost should you decide they are not for you -- put them up for trade for something you like.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
but more on how you could select a tobacco without testing it.

Base it on what you've smoked already, plus reading reviews and asking people who've smoked the tobacco you're interested what they think of it. I would get as many opinions as possible since taste is so subjective.

Maybe once you narrow it down more you can make a post with the tobaccos you want to cellar and get peoples thoughts.

But what you're doing is especially tricky, even more so because of the quantities you're after. I can't imagine buying pounds of something I've never tried.

Reactions: JOHN72