PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
Ok, update on USPS stupidity. After the package bounced around the east coast for 2 weeks, it made a jump from MD to California. It arrived in Oakland, which is about 50 miles from me. It sat in Oakland for 4 days and today’s update shows that it’s back in Maryland.

I’m starting to get annoyed now. I can deal with an international package getting stuck at one location for some kind of confusion or customs hold, but this is pretty lame.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ok, update on USPS stupidity. After the package bounced around the east coast for 2 weeks, it made a jump from MD to California. It arrived in Oakland, which is about 50 miles from me. It sat in Oakland for 4 days and today’s update shows that it’s back in Maryland.

I’m starting to get annoyed now. I can deal with an international package getting stuck at one location for some kind of confusion or customs hold, but this is pretty lame.
Next stop, Olympus Mons.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
I've been searching a little bit on this topic and it seems the most logical answer is that the auto sorter machines are having a hard time dealing with the labeling/markings on this package. Perhaps, because its small and has bunch of international customs nonsense on it. So I'm supposed to either email USPS or initiate a lost package search to force the act of sorting this manually. Of course, both of those services are currently unavailable because USPS is such a mess right now. So I called USPS and after entering the international tracking number, they said, "Sorry Charlie, we don't give a shit about packages that didn't originate in the US."

From now on, no international for me unless they use a single source shipper...

I suppose I'll just get a bucket of popcorn and watch my Dunhill ping-pong back and forth across the country.

Meanwhile, every other USPS package gets to me in 2-3 days.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would think a lack of flights would lead to a more manageable system for shippers as the packages arrive slower and in smaller numbers.
Demand for services exploded last year at the same time that the USPS was being streamlined to make it more "efficient". You have to marvel at the sheer paucity of intelligence by which this was carried out until it was forced to stop in the middle of last year. Still, the damage is done to an already damaged system. Routing weirdnesses have plagued the USPS for years. The Eastern half of the country appears to have a lot more issues than the Western half. With the notable exception of my last Esterval's shipment, my mail delivery has been little affected.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Demand for services exploded last year at the same time that the USPS was being streamlined to make it more "efficient". You have to marvel at the sheer paucity of intelligence by which this was carried out until it was forced to stop in the middle of last year. Still, the damage is done to an already damaged system. Routing weirdnesses have plagued the USPS for years. The Eastern half of the country appears to have a lot more issues than the Western half. With the notable exception of my last Esterval's shipment, my mail delivery has been little affected.
Locally (middle Tennessee), we have had fantastic service until the last 6 months. I still get great service from Florida (read: Tobaccopipes), but everything else bounces around crazy-like before eventually hitting the target. My craziest routing involved a box of cigars I sent from here to Denver that spent a couple weeks in Puerto Rico.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
A ? I sent to Briarville on 12/30/20 finally arrived yesterday. It was hung up in Colorado for 3.5 weeks. Most of the issues that I’m hearing of with overseas ?s are USPS issues.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I ordered two pipes from SP EU after the first of the year and they have been sitting at Heathrow since Jan 6th. I keep hoping that the tracking information just hasn't updated, but I fear that is wishful thinking.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Sorry for your experience. I ordered a pipe from Mike Billington at Blakemar Briars(England) on the 12th of January and it arrived on 2nd of February. British post to USPS. No hassles.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
Well, USPS managed to send my pipe from California to MD and back to California and have it delivered to me in less than 2 days, so I have my new Dunhill.

I knew I had to learn this lesson for myself, but this will be the last modern/new Dunhill I will ever buy. The fit and finish on this pipe is absolutely pitiful. Visible sanding marks over the whole stem, sanding marks and orange peel on the rim. The bottom of the bowl drilling looks a little wonky, as well.

I know this can be a heated topic among folks and I had to draw my own conclusions. This is a new pipe of 2018 production.

The only other Dunhill I will ever plan to buy, will be a birth year when the right one presents itself. I could also see myself buying an older estate if something really grabbed me. Otherwise, I have now drawn my conclusions on the value of new Dunhill pipes. I've purchased both factory and Artisan pipes that were less expensive and higher quality.

The only redeeming quality is the design and shape of the bit, which is amazingly comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.