SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

I recently Smoked a sample of a blend believed to be from the early 2000's. The lead component was orange Virginia followed with what I can only imagine was perique. My question to you all is what blends utilise orange Virginia today? I am very interested in trying some modern day blends which contain this style of leaf, preferably in a straight Virginia or va/per blend form.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you want orange tobacco, come to Florida in January to February as I believe that is Honey Bell season. Grab a bushel, squeeze all the juice out and then soak some Virginia on it and bang Orange Virginia. I have never tried it but it sounds like it could work.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
You don't hear "orange virginias" said on here that much.
It is odd - red VA is pretty standard in discussion but there are so many other differences in nomenclature. I remember McClelland using “lemon” and “orange” in their descriptions. Others use things like “mahogany “ . Don’t really hear about the tan, beige or khaki leaf variants but that’s probably what they look like in the end. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Simply Orange from Watch City Cigar should meet your needs. Get on their mailing list so that you get the announcement as it will sell out rather quickly. I recommend that you jar it for 6 months before lighting up. If you want to add Perique to it you can buy blending Perique from one of the major on line vendors. Otherwise, as others have posted, you can buy whole leaf and process it yourself.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Get on their mailing list so that you get the announcement as it will sell out rather quickly.

As always with scarce blends this is the key. Ernie will send out an email being quite specific on the date and time Simply Orange will be available for sale. If you're on the Watch City website when it's released you'll get some, guaranteed. If you waltz in 10, 20, 30 minutes later you might not. It's just not that complicated.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This would be the guy to ask. @JimInks
Orange Virginias are used in more blends more than we think, but often, they are described as red Va.s or not mentioned at all. There's only been a few straight orange blends that I can think of: a few Christmas Cheers, and McClelland 40th. That gave me an idea that turned into Ernie making the upcoming Watch City Simply Orange Virginia. Even here, Ernie used different grades of Orange Va., so you'll see a variety of colors in the mix.