PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Does anyone know about pros/cons of making a pipe out of wood from an orange tree?Just curious cuz I saw there was a pipe maker that uses Lemon tree wood.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
From my woodturning experience, any tree that produces food or flowers will have exciting wood. But there is a difference between looks good and smokes good. I have not seen any mention of citrus wood in the lists of toxic woods. I grew up on a orange orchard, so we would NOT cut down a tree for the wood. I remember it being a very light wood. I would certainly like to see a pipe made of orange wood.
Winton

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I'd steer clear of citrus tree pipes.
For all I know, it might make a smokeable pipe. But my advice is you'd be much better off with the tried and true materials.
Briar and pearwood root are well proven for resistance to burning. I don't know much about it but I hear walnut can make a good pipe too.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I've heard about any fruit tree wood is suitable for pipe making. We have olive wood, pear wood, cherry wood, and others already so it seems to me that there'd be no harm in experimenting. Besides if you've already seen lemon tree wood used I can't see why orange couldn't be. If you can get some I'd encourage you to experiment. It's probably already been done anyway by somebody somewhere out there at sometime and at least we'd all be able to hear whether or not it makes a decent pipe straight from the horse's mouth if you do it.

Do it for the good of us all! For the science of pipe smokery!

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Awesome words of encouragement guys!!THANKS!! I have a few chunks drying out now so maybe in a few weeks or a month I give it a shot

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Hmm... a good pipe is made from briar that's been cured for years. But you're going to use orange wood that's been cured a month.
Good luck with that.
Ha, sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though it should be good practice. Let us know how it goes.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
@Bigvan I know, I know but it'll be my first go at carving, It's free from the ol' man and if it works out then I may be on to something for the future.Worst case scenario it sux and I'm out some hours and probably some sandpaper so why not..lol

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
No worries, jones.
Not knowing how much wood you have to work with, what about an orange wood pipe rack? Or a tamper? It's just that briar is SO different to work with than other woods. I have very limited wood working experience and I've made exactly ONE pipe (and it's horrible) but I'd hate to see someone waste a good piece of wood.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
True.I too have little woodworking experience but with the limited size and quanity of wood along with my interest in carving a pipe figured I'd give it a shot..like you said it'll be good practice...

if nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.