PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Growing up, I knew the importance of oral hygiene. My mother worked as a dental hygienst and later as a co-owner and dental assistant to my stepfather who owned his own practice. Heck, I even won Crest Kid (best smile)--thanks mom!-- my senior year of high school, so I guess you might say I am highly qualified to be posting such matter.

I went to get my teeth cleaned this past Saturday. It was long overdue since my last cleaning. I had two small cavities on my back molar, but nothing serious and easily taken care of. Furthermore, after my cleaning, I got home and lit up a bowl. What I noticed was that the flavors were more pronounced. Could I have been imagining this? Not sure, but perhaps there is some merit to not having plaque deposits contributing to the taste in my mouth.

So, if you're having diminished flavor, maybe it's time to pay your dentist a visit!

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
When I am going to start tasting wines, I also brush my teeth and floss really well beforehand. Wines, meads, and tobaccos have a way of coating your teeth and lingering for longer than most may be aware.

Cool beans on your Crest Kid Award.
Are you an amateur sommelier? I’d guess that you’d probably want the purest flavor for those kinds of ventures.

Since living here in South Korea, I have also have adopted the habit of brushing my teeth an extra time (after lunch) during the day. It was something I never saw in my daily life in the USA. Koreans are pretty meticulous when it comes to beauty standards....

And likewise, I also tend to brush my teeth after dinner before I smoke my pipe and then a good flossing, brush, tongue cleaner and mouth wash when retiring for the night. I’m sometimes up to cleaning my mouth 4 times a day....yet I probably only need 2 at the most.

Are you an amateur sommelier? I’d guess that you’d probably want the purest flavor for those kinds of ventures.

Since living here in South Korea, I have also have adopted the habit of brushing my teeth an extra time (after lunch) during the day. It was something I never saw in my daily life in the USA. Koreans are pretty meticulous when it comes to beauty standards....

And likewise, I also tend to brush my teeth after dinner before I smoke my pipe and then a good flossing, brush, tongue cleaner and mouth wash when retiring for the night. I’m sometimes up to cleaning my mouth 4 times a day....yet I probably only need 2 at the most.
No, well, yes, amateur. But, I also make wines and meads. (as well as grow tobacco) I just entered my first mead competition. Fingers crossed, the prize is merely a custom wineglass with a medallion, but it will give me bragging rights for my peach blossom honey, made from my very own peach orchard. Tasting the nuances of honey and meads is very similar to tasting tobaccos, IMO.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
Makes me wonder if the "oil pulling method".. which I think is an ayurvedic thing.. might have some merit for pipe smokers. Not sure how well it would work BEFORE a smoke, but doing it AFTER a smoke might dissolve any tar deposits in the mouth that really have no benefit.

(For those unaware, this oil pulling method involves putting coconut oil in your mouth and then swishing it around for 10-20 mins and then spitting it out. The idea being that like dissolves like.. and we tend to put a lot of lipid based things in our mouth)

I've tried it before and it was really not as "oily" as you might imagine. Coconut oil just ends up turning into what feels like water by the time you spit it out... teeth felt no different though.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've been using this licorice flavored toothpaste with charcoal and tea tree oil my wife got me. Your mouth is black and it's messy, but it works well and you don't have to wait for the minty taste to go away before you smoke.

Reactions: beefeater33

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I too use the charcoal based - it's excellent - I'd suggest to anyone whose still got 'em - BRUSH 'EM
keep your mouth clean DAILY - nothing worse than people who don't brush at the very least

Reactions: edger