PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
I've grown quite fond of Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme as a mild but flavorful all-day smoke.
I've also noticed that Stokkebye makes a blend called English Luxury, which seems to have the same four basic components (Georgian Virginia, Mexican Burley, Black Cavendish, Cyprian Latakia.) I imagine different proportions distinguish the blends?
Could anyone give me some pointers on how EOS and EL are different? If I like EOS, will I enjoy EL as well?
I have also tried and enjoy Balkan Supreme and Proper English, but I find I prefer the mildness of EOS for everyday smoking. So how does EL compare?
Thanks for any advice!
--smc

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Well, I can't comment on any blend you listed EXCEPT English Luxury. I'm mainly an aromatic smoker, and this was my first "English" blend. And what a blend it is! So yummy! I love the steak flavor! My guess is if you like PS EOS, English Luxury wlil be different, but just as excellent if with a bit more latakia in it.
I'm sure I was no help. :lol:
-Jason

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
English Luxury is one of my favorite blends, the amount of Latakia is just perfect for me.
Here's a link to a place that many of use for reference.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand_detail.cfm?ALPHA=P&BID=44

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
Thanks, folks, for the positive thoughts on EL! I'm encouraged to give it a try!
I have, as Tommy suggests, looked over tobaccoreviews.com (I spend way too much time reading that site!), and among the generally positive reviews of both blends I found one comparison that suggests EOS is heavier of the latakia, EL on the lighter latakia side. But I've also been told the opposite, as Jason suggests, hence my confusion.
I find that EOS manages to 'triangulate' all my tobacco preferences in one blend: full tasting but light enough for all-day puffing, a nice balance of sweetness and oriental smokiness/saltiness, a decent room note (a plus for she who must be obeyed:), a fair vitamin N content but by no means a killer, and a great price to boot.
Yes, Jason, I imagine it IS an ideal blend for an aromatic smoker who also likes english. Contrary to some of the negative reviews I read, I actually find quite a bit of subtlety and layers of flavor, especially after smoking it for a while. Also, despite being mild in strength, it really does benefit from being sipped slowly, not puffed away at. There are moments when I get a real lack cav/aromatic flavor, then a nice dose of latakia, then a bit of burley nutiness. Like Squadron Leader, 1Q and Prince Albert all rolled into one!
Enough of my rambling. . .I think I'll have a bowl:)
--eagerly awaiting my new Christmas pipes from my wife and kids--I feel like a kid all over again!--
--smc

Status
Not open for further replies.