PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2015
I found an Armentrout pipe that I like, the shape, finish and chamber size are what I'm looking for.

I don't know anything about the carver. Hoping some of y'all might be familiar with his work. Are his pipes well regarded?

Nathan Armentrout is one of the high-grade pipemakers in the US. Go for his work, you wont be disappointed.
Here's his bio on SPC
Hailing from Lancaster, California, the small desert town where he was born and raised, Nathan Armentrout is a member of the new wave of prominent American artisans, a set whose range runs from those long-time pipe smokers who took up pipemaking after retiring from another career, to promising barely-twenty-somethings who have just gotten started in the world. What they all share, regardless of age, is a great appreciation for the pipe both in its form and its function, a dedication to constant improvement in their craftsmanship, and an eclectic spectrum of influences where the only predictable common denominators are the Danish greats and the great vintage classics of certain English marques' glory days.
In Nathan's case, his start as a professional pipemaker began as a hobby. But to satisfy his passion for the art and craftsmanship involved in creating a fine smoking instrument, things needed to be taken to the next level. Thus began the long process of investing in proper tooling, setting up a fully equipped shop, and, every bit as important, pursuing a more expansive and in-depth knowledge of pipe design and pipemaking techniques from successful artisans. With some help and guidance from pipemakers and friends, and an improve-with-every-pipe mindset, Nathan's skills grew in design and detail - and he continues his efforts to keep them growing still.
His portfolio on smokingpipes.com
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Quite nice pipes. But isn't $350 a bit much for someone who's just coming up?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Nathan isn't just coming up! Those prices have been earned and are justified. Surprised with the comments so far, thought more people knew of him

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
He makes great smokers and beautiful pipes. I have five and, when finances are a little better will be looking to to complete a set of 7 to join the four other makers I've collected sets of 7; Bruce Weaver, Scott Thile, Rad Davis, and Abe Herbaugh. Those names should tell you what I think of Nathan's work.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Nathan's pipes show the level of attention to detail that you hope to find in a handmade product but frequently miss. Standard 4mm airway, well finished trumpeted mouth pieces, surfaced mortise face, chamfered tenon and ime no light gap between shank and stem. Don't know about his briar protocols or vulcanite supplier. His stems are a stand out as he frequently makes a generous flair. He often has a high, thin button which seems to be popular among US pipe makers (don't like).
Here's an interview from a past WCPS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vroVQeBfbEQ

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was at a PA shop with Les Young a few weeks ago. They had an Armentrout lovat with fat bamboo shank. The work was beautiful, they had it sale priced at $195, which had both of us tempted.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
+1 on Nathan's pipes. They are beautifully shaped, designed, engineered and extremely good smokers. His price point is also a bargain, IMO. Highly recommended.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I have never met him nor held one of his pipes, but I do know that he is well respected. I was surprised at how affordable his pupes were when he first got on smokingpipes. My opinion isn't based on much, but I love the way his pipes look.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The issue for Nathan isn't quality, the issue is output. He just doesn't make enough pipes to be real well known. He's worked hard over the last 8 years or so to get to where he makes real nice looking and nice smoking pipes. Good guy to boot. I reckon he's the science teacher all the kids are pretty scared of.

Status
Not open for further replies.