PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
If a pipe needs a "well" to catch excess moisture, there is ether something wrong with the pipe or the tobacco is too wet. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes, that's one way to go. Or, you can use a pipe that takes a balsa and by changing the balsa and a quick swipe with a pipe cleaner, you're good to go again. There's more than one way..... puffy
that's one thing you have to love about pipes. So many options and all of them geared towards making the experience a little easier to enjoy. I hear good things about those filters compared to the paper tube type of filter. Though one neat thing about the well is you can see how dark and how thick certain tars are and get a good idea of how they'll effect your meerschaum (protip Dark Twist roll cake, colors a meer super fast and dark so does Five Brothers).

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The one issue I have with System pipes is that depending on the moisture in the tobacco, the well can fill enough so as to allow liquid into the bowl if the pipe is tipped. If you’re down to the last 1/3rd-1/4 of a bowl it tends to self extinguish.

That of course can be remedied by removing the stem at some point and wicking out the liquid with a q-tip or paper towel, or sticking a piece of cotton in the bottom of the well before firing it up.

They do work as advertised, and remove moisture…

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I just smoked 1/2 bowl of fresh Rivendell in my 1980's Erica System Pub Pipe (Pete 2nd) with 22mmx50.5mm chamber (360 flame grain with birdseye on bottom and shank) - a little moisture around the chamber walls from condensation but otherwise very dry and nothing to wipe out. I smoked it very slowly for over 40 minutes before I had to end it. I placed a pipe cleaner in the draft hole before loading tobacco and packed a little tighter. None of my other pipes smoke this dry.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
The one issue I have with System pipes is that depending on the moisture in the tobacco, the well can fill enough so as to allow liquid into the bowl if the pipe is tipped. If you’re down to the last 1/3rd-1/4 of a bowl it tends to self extinguish.

That of course can be remedied by removing the stem at some point and wicking out the liquid with a q-tip or paper towel, or sticking a piece of cotton in the bottom of the well before firing it up.

They do work as advertised, and remove moisture…
If it's that wet and filled you could likely also remove the stem and tip the bowl so the moisture runs out the mortise, then replace the stem and finish your session. Similar to removing and draining or "flicking" out the moisture before you turn the bowl over to remove ash at the end of the smoke.

It took me a couple of times to remember that there's likely moisture in the well that should be emptied prior to my usual tipping the bowl over to remove ash at the end!

If you forget you'll get reminded...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If it's that wet and filled you could likely also remove the stem and tip the bowl so the moisture runs out the mortise, then replace the stem and finish your session. Similar to removing and draining or "flicking" out the moisture before you turn the bowl over to remove ash at the end of the smoke.

It took me a couple of times to remember that there's likely moisture in the well that should be emptied prior to my usual tipping the bowl over to remove ash at the end!

If you forget you'll get reminded...
Well, there is that… but my wife gets cross with me when I sling stinky brown tobacco juice all over the house…

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Would one of Peterson’s calabash shapes be a good clencher?

I’ve been wrestling with this myself, wanting a good clencher with a large bowl for reading. But I have issues with moisture often times with bent pipes.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Would one of Peterson’s calabash shapes be a good clencher?

I’ve been wrestling with this myself, wanting a good clencher with a large bowl for reading. But I have issues with moisture often times with bent pipes.
I love the way the Xl11 clenches. Rests nicely on my chin and is light for its size. I'd imagine the rest of the calabash models would be similar.

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
I was going through some old threads, for no real reason🤪 and I noticed that I never did send a pic! So here's to Reviving an old thread lol! Here's a pic of the 302 system I picked up.
View attachment 168257
since then I picked up a Sherlock Holmes squire, View attachment 168258and I just recently acquired this beautiful system spigot 307, still in the break-in process, but it's a beautiful pipe!View attachment 168261 I really love my Peterson's and especially the p-lip! My next two I'm eyeballing is the Sherlock Holmes professor, and a deluxe b42, if I can ever find one!
Those are both great pipes. I own one of each. For me, the bigger shapes feel better in the hand and you get the full system effect. I also like the 307. I too have the spigot - very nice looking. Enjoying the 307 and some pure virginia outdoors in Minnesota. Braving the cold was worth it.

fullsizeoutput_19fb.jpeg

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I was going through some old threads, for no real reason🤪 and I noticed that I never did send a pic! So here's to Reviving an old thread lol! Here's a pic of the 302 system I picked up.
View attachment 168257
since then I picked up a Sherlock Holmes squire, View attachment 168258and I just recently acquired this beautiful system spigot 307, still in the break-in process, but it's a beautiful pipe!View attachment 168261 I really love my Peterson's and especially the p-lip! My next two I'm eyeballing is the Sherlock Holmes professor, and a deluxe b42, if I can ever find one!
All three are beautiful choices!

Do you find any difference in the p-lip buttons between the three of them?

On the images the buttons on Sherlock Holmes Squire and the spigot 307 seem to be more delicate and elongated as opposed to the button on the standard system 302. Is that right or is this only an optical illusion in my eyes? Any difference in clenching between the three pipes that you find?

The reason I wonder is thatI am having second thoughts about my own standard system 313. I like clenching my pipes, as I often enjoy a smoke when walking my dog and I need my hands free. After doing some research, I got myself the rusticated 313. I love the looks, the quality, the dimensions and the feel of it in the hand BUT… when it comes to clenching, I find the thickness of the stem and the bulkiness of the p-lip bit a little to much… a little too much of a stem in my mouth. It feels clunky and awkward.

With some further reading (including some helpful insights in this thread) and staring at the images of p-lips on various models and lines, it does seem to me that not all p-lips are created equal. On some pipes such as the Deluxe System B42, the Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker, Sherlock Holmes Mycroft and perhaps some of System Spigots the buttons have a slimmer profile, hence would feel a little less intrusive when clenched??? I understand that these models are probably not the best for clenching given their dimensions and ergonomics, but I am also interested in adding another Peterson to my collection which I would use for longer seated sessions when I actually can hand-hold the pipe for longer periods of time. For that purpose I, still, would prefer a more delicate and slimmer p-lip bit on the pipe.

Anyone else has similar observations or any useful guidance on selection a model? How are p-lips in the Pub and / or the House Pipes?

Reactions: yanoJL and FLDRD

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Without going into details, only System Spigot misses the point. Yes, I have 'em all. Not because I love Peterson so much, I do, but I wanted to experience it all. The P-lip suck on System Standard, but it's smokable. Premier,also has Standard P-lip issue. But that's not really a big deal. You get used to it. Big deal is how far the extension on the tenon goes into the mortise. If you look at all the System pipes, there's an extension on the tenon. However, the System Spigot doesn't. Does it matter? From my experience, it really doesn't. But the idea is to have tenon below the draught hole so the moisture doesn't drop down into the draught hole. And in practice, it doesn't. But what the hell? I want that extension!!!

Reactions: Severus

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I love the way the Xl11 clenches. Rests nicely on my chin and is light for its size. I'd imagine the rest of the calabash models would be similar.
Seconding the clenchability of the XL11/Sherlock Holmes Original. I'm primarily a straight billiard guy but I'm quickly being swayed to full bents.

I imagine the 305 and XL5s are dreams to clench.