SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bitch about how life actually sucked despite you having everything you could ever possibly want.
Having everything that you could possibly want is not as great as everyone makes it out to be. That is actually a curse. All of the truly wealthy people I have met in life were miserable people. I don't mean just rich, but extremely wealthy. One guy I know, drives through in an old beater truck to get away and be around real people who aren't surrounding him merely because of his wealth. I imagine it is hard to ever even know if someone wants to date or marry you just because of your wealth instead of who you really are. This guy you'd think would be really recognizable, but he pulls it off. But, I don't think I would ever want to be in that position.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Having everything that you could possibly want is not as great as everyone makes it out to be. That is actually a curse. All of the truly wealthy people I have met in life were miserable people. I don't mean just rich, but extremely wealthy. One guy I know, drives through in an old beater truck to get away and be around real people who aren't surrounding him merely because of his wealth. I imagine it is hard to ever even know if someone wants to date or marry you just because of your wealth instead of who you really are. This guy you'd think would be really recognizable, but he pulls it off. But, I don't think I would ever want to be in that position.
Are we talking rich versus wealthy as in Tom Brady is rich, but the guy who signs his paychecks is wealthy?

Also, while money may not always buy happiness, it definitely helps and puts financially responsible people in better positions.

I'm willing to be a guinea pig for your hypothesis if someone wants to fund the test.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, when you eventually tire of all the fame and have spent your fortune you will need to think of your retirement pension.

For this you could write a book all about your (mis)adventures with the people you have had to deal with along the way & bitch about how life actually sucked despite you having everything you could ever possibly want.

You'd make a princely sum I have no doubt!

Regards,

Jay

The level of specificity in your recommendation is remarkable.

It's almost as if you've somehow seen it before, so know how things will work out...

rotf

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 12.10.21 PM.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People who strike it rich through business, sports, or the lottery, etc., suddenly find themselves in a money management career. Even with lesser good fortune, like a good job with promotions, or a modest inheritance, people have to continually be alert to who they can trust among financial advisors, brokers, etc. Better to go with a stogy outfit than one that is a little too dynamic and turns out to be Bernie Madow -- however that's spelled.

The crypto currency people have shown that a little ambition is a dangerous thing.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Wealthy" tops "rich"? I loathe the former term, and rich seems to do the trick. Super rich is better, right up to $999,999,999. Then "billionaire" is in play.

I'd be ok to be a multi-billionaire just to see if I can handle it.

Reactions: Zero