PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Sorry folks I'm sure this is an often repeated question but cant see one after a brief look

I really like the Cuaba Tradicionales but often find the draw way too tight (esp in the first 3rd)

Despite this I really enjoy the flavour and since they've been out of stock here since end of last year when I saw them in the store at the weekend I couldn't resist and grabbed a handful, but would appreciate tips on best tool/method to open it up without causing damage/spoiling the smoke?

cuabatrad1.jpg

As a follow up question... would you/do you cut the foot on a figurado?

Thanks in advance

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I do not cut the foot on figurado/torpedo shapes. I may need to touch up the burn-line occasionally when it gets into the body...but more often than not smokes out fine from initial light.

The 'Perfect Draw' used to be the go-to, and is out on Amazon/sites for $30 or under. There's some newer/more expensive takes.....but the PD is the one I have (don't use it often, but worked fine if it was a true plug down in the body). Also, if you haven't used a cat's eye/wedge cutter....you may want to give that a whirl. It won't help a true plugged roll....but if it's just a tighter construction getting that deeper channeled air-flow cut can help (compared to a guillotine snip).

Reactions: TinCup and seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I had this happen just yesterday. I am at the lake and don't have all of my tools so I used a two pronged BBQ tool very gently and it worked. I am a savage apparently

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
seanv, do I understand you skewer the cigar with a pointed BBQ tool? How far? I think I tried that once but couldn't make it work; it was like smoking a pingpong ball, no draw at all. I used an ice pick or awl or something.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
seanv, do I understand you skewer the cigar with a pointed BBQ tool? How far? I think I tried that once but couldn't make it work; it was like smoking a pingpong ball, no draw at all. I used an ice pick or awl or something.
I went maybe 1 inch max with this bad boy. It helped the draw until it naturally opened up about half way.

Attachments

• 20200909_152957.jpg
    20200909_152957.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 11

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I have used the PerfecDraw on many occasions, and it really does work. It has saved a bunch of cigars for me so it has easily paid for itself.

Nope, just light the foot and the burn should keep moving through to the body of the cigar.

Reactions: TinCup

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nothing worse than sniffing, admiring, and brandishing an unlit cigar and then lighting up to ... nothing. The toothpick is a good remedy, the round sturdy ones, not the little flat meatball stabbers.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I wonder if a long wood screw or a drill bit would work just as good as an expensive cigar draw tool. Just screw it in and pull it straight out.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I keep a long precision screwdriver at hand for opening up tight cigars. ?
Z0rw_0pcpEx_.JPG

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
+1 on the pipe tool.

Sometimes gently rolling the cigar between your fingers will loosen it up a little, but beware of wrapper cracking if the cigar is dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.