My Only Tin of McClelland Virginia, 11 Years Old.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Wait for your COBs and tobaccos to arrive. However, pipe tobacco will still somewhat taste like cigarettes. It is still tobacco.

Puff slowly, and the flavors will come alive and the smokey taste will reduce.
csshubuhra, desperately waiting for cobs.. Its been more than 3 weeks now. I hope I'll receive them soon. Here in India, Mumbai, Pune and Bangaluru are already into lockdown phase (majority of businesses) due to COVID-19 outbreak. This might cause a short delay in delivery.. fingers crossed!

Happy Piping my friend! (And thank you for reminding me that tobacco will burn like a tobacco but not something exotic which I was framing up in my mind!) puffy :sher:

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
part could be the pipe.. it looks like a weed pipe.

also did you dry the tobacco to nearly dry before smoking?
Hey BROBS, yes.. the pipe do seem like a weed pipe (Chillum as we all call it here in India) and seems like was very poorly shaped like a clay smoking pipe by the local potter for increase sales! The tobacco I received from my local Tobacconist already foretold me it will smoke woody and bland.. but Nic hit would be good enough.
Tobacco seemed adequately moist.. neither too dry nor too goopy.
My charr light went good. Was my first ever bowl.. I did burned the rim of this pipe.. (would never ever do that with my cobs!).. first few puffs and I felt a burning tongue.. then throat.. the smoke was hot.. (might be due to big drawhole and my irregular deep puffs rather sipping!) Smoke smelled similar to ciggs.. anyways.. I took it as a lesson!

My start might seem poor.. but hope I'll learn the ins and outs soon..

Happy Piping my friend! puffy:sher:

Last edited:

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I recently purchased 4 tins of McClelland Christmas Cheer: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006. I’m working my way through sampling them and comparing. So far 2003 rules. So I’m curious, since McClelland straight VA’s share the house profile and similar processing : how much of a difference will I notice between CC and (for instance) Blackwoods/Virginia 22, 24, 27 ?? Of course I realize they are different types of Virginias, but are the tastes radically different or more on the subtle side of things ? I’m wondering whether to pull the trigger on Blackwoods and VA 22/24/27 on estate sale market.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I purchased an aged tin of McClelland Blackwoods Flake as a part of a bulk tobacco purchase. The seller told me that this tin is from 2011. Looking into the date code I think it is from 2009, which makes it 10+ years of age. Today is a good day as any to smoke it, so I opened it. The tin note is ketchup like, but the dark stoved Virginia has changed it to more like a homemade variety of sweet Indian Pickle made from tamarind or date. I am drying it now and will smoke in a while.

View attachment 22091View attachment 22092View attachment 22093
Lovely stuff! I still have a couple of tins. Open the lid and leave it off for a few minutes. Do this every day for a week and the ketchup/vinegar will air away, leaving the flavor of the Virginias. This happens anyway when you dry the flake and add fire, but airing out the tin gives you a head start when you want to smoke it.
There's a lot of moisture in this flake, so giving it a good dry will open up flavors and allow it to burn more readily.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So I smoked my only tin of McClelland Virginia Four Years ago 😀

16770.jpg
But I see that you haven't aged a year!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I recently purchased 4 tins of McClelland Christmas Cheer: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006. I’m working my way through sampling them and comparing. So far 2003 rules. So I’m curious, since McClelland straight VA’s share the house profile and similar processing : how much of a difference will I notice between CC and (for instance) Blackwoods/Virginia 22, 24, 27 ?? Of course I realize they are different types of Virginias, but are the tastes radically different or more on the subtle side of things ? I’m wondering whether to pull the trigger on Blackwoods and VA 22/24/27 on estate sale market.
They share a savoriness, which is the McClelland house style, but definitely have different flavor profiles, depending on what's in the blend. Some CC's are a mixture of orange and red Virginias, others are orange Virginias. Stoved or brown Virginias have a different flavor profile.

Reactions: cshubhra and jguss

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Smoking Christmas Cheer 2006 now. Doesn’t compare to 2003. Much more mellow, but not as flavorful. We’ll see. Also have 2001 and 2002 lined up.

Reactions: cshubhra

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
That tin preserved that tobacco very well, it looks very good. It is interesting to know that the sealed tins are fit for purpose. I am very happy for you my friend. Enjoy your smoking.

Reactions: cshubhra