Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I’ve acquired a few aged tins from some of the fine members of this forum. Thinking it might be time to open a few. I’ve heard some mention that they open them and then jar them for a bit before smoking.

So my question is, is it better to jar the aged tobacco for a bit to let it “air out”, or just smoke it “fresh”?

Reactions: AJL67

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
If the tin shows substantial swelling, I find that it smokes it's best after about three bowls. This seems to be a result of letting the tobacco "breathe" for a bit.

I don't try to dry the tobacco out; I just find that the flavor opens up after the first few bowls. If it's a larger tin, I might just put it in one of my humidors.

Reactions: AcesAndEights
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I say open tin - smoke a bowl immediately (dried to your liking of course). Jar the rest and take note if you see any differences as you work through the remainder. Enjoy the journey
This, of course, is the logical answer. I guess I’m just worrying about making my first bowl of legit aged baccy as magical as possible. Lol
This is gonna be a big moment. I don’t wanna blow it! ?

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I smoke 90-100 % aged tins. Almost all are 9-15 plus years old. I prefer how aged tins taste. I find them to be smoother, tastier, more depth of flavors and I have been doing it for so long that is what I am used to. I don't settle for less than very aged tins. It is nice having a cellar that is almost all aged tins.
That’s my plan as well. I’ve purchased several hundred fresh tins and stocked them away. Buying some tins with age already on them to get me started.

Reactions: dunnyboy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My experience, at least with very old tins, is different. I find that the smoke is never quite as good later as it is immediately after opening the tin. And catching the aroma at the moment of unsealing the tin, by the way, is definitely a fun part of the ritual.
THIS. But it does depend on how old the tin is. Aged a few to ten years, the tobacco isn't likely to die upon exposure to fresh oxygen. But if you're looking at decades old stuff, 30, 40, 50 years of age, it may curl up its toes and die in a day or less.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I try to finish the older tins in a timely manner. They tobacco flavor of older tins diminishes quickly after opening even if jarred.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The 20 year old Clan I bought online tastes different from fresh; I don't know if it's aged or they changed the blend but it certainly tastes a lot sweeter and stickier than modern Clan.
Met James again today and he says they're different...