PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Last night i had just picked up a tin for my birthday, as a treat. For those wondering i picked up a tin of some Dunhill's Nightcap. The B&M just got in a bunch of dunhill and peterson, all of which has my mouth watering to try! Anyhow, when i get in and im sitting down with my brother to have a pipe the big moment comes after dinner when we open up our first tin. We'd never gotten anything other than bulk or OTC, so this was a big night. Well, when i open the tin, as the title suggest it had already been opened..not to mention a bowl maybe two had already been smoked out of it. So a bit disappointed we still had a couple bowls. Which were amazing to say the least. Now i see why everyone rants and raves about it!
Has anybody else gotten an opened tin before? I had seen B&Ms on the internet and always wondered why they kept the tins behind the counter, makes sense now. I had called over there immediately and was instructed to bring it back over today, which of course i am. Anyways, just curious what you guys thoughts on that is? Thanks. :puffy:
Edit: I forgot to mark this into the appropriate catagory. So if its in the wrong forum, sorry.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I have had it happen at a local shop. My patience only lasted till I hit the car though (had bought a pipe as well and figured lets lite them up). Walked in and just exchanged no issues. Also had one show up in the mail busted open somehow. However it was a tin in a bag, so the tobacco was still fine.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Well thats reassuring to know that im not the only one that happened to. Is there anyway of telling if its been opened or tampered with before i open it when i get home?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I would come unhinged if I was sold a "new" tin and it had already been opened. That is an enormous faux pas on the tobacconists behalf. This would be akin to going to the grocery store and buying a box of cereal someone just took a few bowls out of, not cool.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Luckily I can say I haven't had that problem. Good to hear the shop replaced it with another tin. Big ups on that, but still it is surprising they allowed an already cracked tin to be sold.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I found I did not like the Nightcap as much as I thought I should and set it aside. Came back a few weeks later and the flavour was much improved for me. So, keep that in mind if it does not quite meet your expectations. Both Night Cap and Early Morning Pipe are fantastic though.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Lets not jump on the owners back Phil. If the tins are out and available to the general public then it could've been opened by anyone. Maybe the owner told a new guy to take a sample of something and when the owner walked to the back the unknowing new guy popped a tin and grabbed a sample thinking nothing about it.
Now if the shop had not replaced I'd be the first to wave the BS flag.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Well guys im just getting back in from the B&M and am very pleased. I wasn't upset, but i was a bit disappointed but i went back in and they were very good about it. They let me keep the NiteCap and also gave me a tin of Early Morning for the inconvenience. It was very generous of them and was not expecting that. The NiteCap was excellent, i just had another bowl this afternoon...nice dose of vitamin N and tons of flavor. Anyways, in short i know where i'll be getting my tobacco from now on. Very good place.
I look forward to trying out the Early Morning something major! I had gotten a match from a member here and i had never been able to find it again..so heres to the real thing i guess! I didn't have much dealings with the B&M here beyond going in and buying bulk. So to be generous like that, im very pleased. :puffy:
Thanks for all the replys fellas

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
This B&M knows what customer service is all about. You had the right attitude and they made it right. I think they showed that they deserve your continued patronage.
Enjoy both tins.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Sorry to bring such an old thread back to life, but I'm visiting some of the messages that happened before I joined here.
I just want to add that I'd never smoke anything from a tin purchased as "new" that had actually been opened. These days, you have no idea what might have been done to that tobacco.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bob, are you suggesting someone at the store may have just come back from wiping their ass and not washed their hands and then took a bowl out?? :rofl:

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I bought a tin of Aston "Rainy Day". Paid for it settled in to my chair at the shop and went to pop the tin and.. not only was it open and dry but it was about 30 grams short. The owner of the shop apologized and replaced it. No problems..

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Glad to hear your B&M was so awesome in it's customer service. While I'd love to support my local shop, Canadian taxes on tobacco makes it just impractical to spend so much money on so little tobacco. Online retailers is where I do all my shopping now, namely 4noggins, which, IMHO, provides just as much quality customer service as one should expect from a local B&M.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Bob, are you suggesting someone at the store may have just come back from wiping their ass and not washed their hands and then took a bowl out??
:)
I was actually suggesting something more sinister. We don't stand for food products that have been tampered with. I think we should take the same precautions with open tins with unknown histories. You have no idea what someone might have added to an open tin at a shop.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.