PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I know it's not what you were expecting. But if you know me, you probably figured I would never own a Ferrari anyway. Up until now that is!! Came across this little number on eBay, and figured I'd never get a chance at a Ferrari for $13, so I scooped it up. Looks to be a half decent pipe, made in Italy and stamped simply Ferrari on the shank, with a matching F on the stem. I can find very little on this pipe. No idea who made it or why for that matter. I am thinking of staining it a reddish color in deference to Ferrari's most popular color.
If anyone has any info they can find on this pipe, I would appreciate a comment. If you don't think I should stain it red, tough! nnnn
I'll post some after photos in a few days.

fullsizeoutput_2bc4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2bc3.jpeg

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
It looks like someone carved Ferrari over top whatever the pipe name really is. You can see the letters under it if you zoom in. Nice pipe.

Reactions: ofafeather

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I've been warned, but I'd leave it the original color, especially until you find out who made it and how it was sourced or restamped as a Ferrari. If it has an interesting back story, refinishing it will blow its authenticity. If it's not authentic, then refinish at will. But you could have something collectible there. Meanwhile, of course, smoke it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Orley only you can see the originality in things, you got it My friend, great pipe!
I guess you're right Brad. I do seem to favor the odd and sad old pipes. I really find them interesting, not that I don't appreciate hand made artisanal pipes, or great factory pipes like Castello. I know this makes me kind of an oddball myself, but it's too much fun to stop doing it. I'm going to have to sell some of these little beauties at some point though. ?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Ok, now it's a red Ferrari. I normally don't like red pipes, but I felt this was a pipe that needed a little snazzy makeover. The thing is, I have no idea if this pipe has anything to do with Ferrari cars. But so little is know about it, I going with the car association. I haven't smoked it yet, so I have no idea how fast it's going to go. Hope I don't burn it up!
fullsizeoutput_2bce.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2bcf.jpeg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
These are the top 100 most common Italian surnames for families currently living in Italy.

#Last NameFamilies
1Rossi45.677
2Russo31.372
3Ferrari26.204
(Source)

So chances are that any pipemaker is called Ferrari and has nothing to do with sports cars ;)
Sounds logical to me. To be honest, even though I've heard of the first two names listed before, I don't think I've ever heard of someone named Ferrari other than Enzo and his family. ?

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.