PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
So I have this Savenelli Tortuga 614, not quite an Oom Paul, but close enough. Does anyone have any good tricks for getting a pipe cleaner (or something of the like) down the shank AND past the draft hole into the bowl? I just don't want to force it and risk damaging the pipe if it can be avoided. Thanks all!

IMG_5962.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If it's a filter pipe, no. Most of the time full bent filter pipes have to be disassembled.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Understand that that mortise is not the same hole as the airway, look up on the wall, on the front side of the shank, and you'll see the airway headed to the bowl. And that's why that pipe won't pass a cleaner no matter what you do when it's assembled.

oombad.jpg

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
This diagram is SUPER helpful, thanks so much for sharing!

Understand that that mortise is not the same hole as the airway, look up on the wall, on the front side of the shank, and you'll see the airway headed to the bowl. And that's why that pipe won't pass a cleaner no matter what you do when it's assembled.

View attachment 137462

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Then how do you get a pipe cleaner through it to dry it out? Not to mention the moisture left in the gap between the the end of the tenon and the bottom of the mortise. Disassembly is almost mandatory for a 614.
I agree ! Most of my pipes are 1/2 or full bend pipes. The military mounts are designed so you can remove the stem while smoking and swab out moisture. If I am not mistaken the O.P.'s pipe is also designed for removing the stem while smoking....unlike straights or other shapes. I don't remember where I read that but I remove the stem on mine (if i have to) even while smoking it. The tolerance is not as tight as other pipe shapes. ( Just an opinion - not verified fact!). :)

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I agree ! Most of my pipes are 1/2 or full bend pipes. The military mounts are designed so you can remove the stem while smoking and swab out moisture. If I am not mistaken the O.P.'s pipe is also designed for removing the stem while smoking....unlike straights or other shapes. I don't remember where I read that but I remove the stem on mine (if i have to) even while smoking it. The tolerance is not as tight as other pipe shapes. ( Just an opinion - not verified fact!). :)
CORRECTION ! I am wrong ... Sorry. Dear O.P. please read this care and maintenance advice directly from Savinelli which is quite helpful ! :

Reactions: Lyon0oq

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Then how do you get a pipe cleaner through it to dry it out? Not to mention the moisture left in the gap between the the end of the tenon and the bottom of the mortise. Disassembly is almost mandatory for a 614.

AiR
Grasshopper
E83DADA2-F9EF-4769-9FEF-8F9E8FF92E1C.jpeg
Canned air
Or
TIme (rest)

Water, Air, Time
are remedy to Earth and Flame

Last edited: