PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Someone has requested that I build them an online pipe and cigar retail website. Advantage is this person already owns the brick and mortar store.
What I am wondering is if anyone knows a good place to research laws regarding the sale of tobacco products online.
The technology piece I understand, but there seems to be alot of info regarding legality that is escaping me. Hopefully there is a place to learn about this before spending money for counsel.
Any random advice related to the online sale of tobacco products and accessories is welcomed as well.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
My first thought on this is to check and see if the ATF has a website that may have some of the info you need. I would also try asking those that already do business online. In this age of over regulation you need to get as much information as possible for something like this. There is a legal dept. at my work, I will ask around there for any suggestions and pass it along to you. :puffy:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The main concern should be the legal age to buy tobacco. It varies by state. It can be 18, 19 or 21.
Many sites simply put a disclaimer that they won't sell to anyone under 21, and they ship with an adult signature required to receive.
If you want to go a little further, a solution I used when I did a site for Japan Tobacco's Wave Cigarettes back in 2006, was http://www.idology.com/ . They access databases such as LexisNexis and match up address and other info to verify identity and age seamlessly.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Thanks for the info kevin. Luckily I'll be setting this up from Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.