PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
So I have a question for you all. We all stash and build up our cellars over time. But do you smoke one tin at a time or do you have multiples open at the same time?
The reason I ask is that I found I was buying and opening tins faster than I could smoke them, and am now running into the issue of them starting to dry out. I know I can rehydrate but it feels like I'm cheating. I was just so very excited to try all sorts of tobacco.
If you do have multiples, do you smoke enough to finish a tin before it goes crispy? Or do you not mind that there will be a day when you have to rehydrate?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've got numerous tins open, but you certainly can't leave them in their tin and expect them to stay fresh. The answer is simple, and what most, as well as I do... small wide mouth Mason jars and your all set. The tobacco will then stay fresh indefinitely.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I usually have several tins open in my normal rotation. I will also have several more open for blends I am sampling (3-4 bowls) to find new blends I may like. Every so often I will then jar the open "sampler" blends for later consumption after sampling. Those I really don't like will get traded away. Those that are tolerable will stay in the jar until I put one into my rotation to smoke it up. Those I like will also enter my rotation for consumption but I will buy more in the future for my rotation. Hope this helps! :puffy:
Dave

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've got more than one tin open but I do tend to limit myself to as few tins open as possible. I store open tins in small air tight kilner jars, perhaps you guys call 'em bail tip jars?, as it stops the tobacco drying out too much.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
If I had to smoke everything I have opened before moving on to a new blend it would take at least a couple of years. Would like to narrow it down to a dozen or so though...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jars are the right answer, canning jars with good tight rubber gasket seals, like Mason and Ball jars. I have to admit, I sometimes

leave the tobacco in the tin, if I expect to smoke it regularly, partly for the foolish reason that I like the tin art a lot, and also

because with some blends, a little drying actually improves the blend. But this isn't good practice. Jars are it. As I've said in

other posts, I find I tend to smoke bulk blends more readily because I have to put them in jars, and smelling them and handling

them puts me into the mood to smoke them, whereas a tin can sit around for a year or more before I get to it, with the excuse

that the tobacco is aging and improving, which is likely only true for the Virginias, mostly.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I've got too many tins open at the moment... Eight tins, and I'm only smoking three blends. No mason jars, either, so I'm looking at offloading the rest before they get too old and dry.
Part of my problem is that I don't have anywhere to store a boat load of mason jars out of the way, so my tobacco (and pipes) tend to sit in their tins and cases in a box, hidden away until I need them!

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I have about 10 tins open right now, but my excuse is that I'm new at this. But now I know what I like. And by reading the description I can tell whether I should buy this or that tin of tobacco. So the game plan going forward is to smoke them just one tin at a time.
This sort of aligns with what GL Pease mentioned on the Pipedia site...to buy tobacco by the tin and cellar them. He said opening a tin of tobacco terminates the aging process and that a 2 oz container is about the right size to use in the short time period that an opened tin of tobacco will be most enjoyable.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I try to limit myself to 2-3 tins open and then the bulk blends that I may be smoking. I also throw in those little humidisk things in the tins

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I try and limit myself to no more than 5 tins open at a time. It gives me enough variety and forces me to pay attention to the blends. I, as yet, don't use jars, and while you can rehydrate, I feel like the taste is not the same once the tobacco dries past a certain point, some of the oils having been lost.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I have at least one pipe set aside for virginias, vapers, burleys, and englishes and at any given time probably have 3-4 blends open (and jarred) in my rotation. So total I'm looking at around a dozen blends total at a time.
I am the type of person that needs variety and get bored if I'm smoking the same blend all the time. I was this way with beer and bourbon back when I drank as well. What can I say.

Dec 24, 2012
I use the air tight flip jars below to store my open tins. I just drop them in. I have two of them and they are full of opened tins. I don't open a new tin unless I have space in one of my two jars. They have silicone seals and you can get them at walmart for about $9 a piece.

Jun 4, 2014
Isn't there a Johnny Cash song about this "I smoked it one tin at a time"? Oops no that ones about a car.

I try to have no more than 2 tins open at once, and after a week or so I put the remainder in a mason jars.

Dec 24, 2012
Are those glass or plastic?
They are acrylic with silicone seals. Cigrmaster got me into them. First time I bought one I filled it up with water and locked it down. Shook the canister for 5 minutes. Not a leak of any kind. These are air tight as they claim. I have left tobacco in these for over a year and it is as moist as when I put it in.

Dec 24, 2012
I also use them to store my Peretti paint can tins because those make me nervous. Gives me an added layer of protection:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Pretty solid idea, Peck, for storing open tins.
I personally try to stick to two or three open tins at a time. I jar them after opening, but I still only do a few at a time

so I don't go banana sandwich and end up with dry tobacco in 10 different tins.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've got a good amount of them in various sizes and they are made, at least the ones I have, by OGGI. Don't buy the so called stainless steel ones as they are utter crap. I got mine, and I'm purchasing more, at my local Bed, Bath & Beyond, but they are readily available on Amazon. I do as Peck does at times and store opened tins in them amongst many other things not tobacco related. They are simply great albeit I, personally, would not store opened tobacco in them for a long period of time and would relegate that to the good old standby Mason jars.
NOTE: Seeing that they are Acyclic (plastic) they absorb odors quite readily and its next to impossible to thoroughly clean them to get rid of the odor(s). If that is a concern then I would go with glass which is not permeable as plastic is. They also come in ceramic, which is obviously much more expensive, but I personally have no experience with them.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
That's just no fun, why bother having a rotation of pipes dedicated to specific blends if you have only one tin going at a time. I have some tins that have been open for a year, you just rehydrate periodically and keep them hydrated, I really don't notice a dramatic difference over time. I would find that boring, like smoking cigarettes going one blend at a time. I like different blends for different days, like if it's raining and cold I'll go towards latakia and english, if it's hot I like Va's and VaPers, in the morning I like a sharp pick me up blend like EMP or El ricon de la pipa, EMP in the winter actually, ERDLP in the spring/summer. I just don't have too many Va's or VaPer's going at once, those I'll more stick to one at a time. Or one sweet va and one hay like grassy va.

Status
Not open for further replies.