One thing I've learned about tobacco blends!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
DONT GO BY FIRST IMPRESSIONS! In my short experience as a full time pipe smoker, of all the blends I've tried I've only found one I'll never smoke again, that was a sample aro from 4Noggins. It may taken a dozen bowls in various pipes to appreciate a blend.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I tend to agree. I've had a few blends that I hated from the first couple of puffs -- largely due to their high nicotine content. That kind of thing isn't going to change down the road. . . . and I'm not going to try; I simply cannot smoke high-nic blends.
That said, I try not to review/rate blends until I've had at least 10 bowls. After all, it takes time to burn away the previous blends. And some blends take time to figure out in terms of ideal moisture level, packing approach, and smoking speed. Never mind that often our perceptions are colored by the time of day when we smoke, what we last ate, the weather, our overall mood. Lots and lots of variable that can affect what we think of a given blend on any given day.
Assuming you don't hate a blend early on or are made sick by it, I'd definitely recommend folks stick with a blend for at least half a tin (which, for me, tends to be around 10 bowls).
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Definitely, the first bowl is just a glimpse. Often a blend gets better as you go.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I agree. It takes a few bowls, at least, to begin to fully appreciate a blend. There has been more than one blend that I found pretty disappointing at first, only to find that I really liked it by the time I was half way through the tin.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
100% agree. Time is the crucial thing. I don't think one may understand a tobacco for smoking it for less than a few months and sometimes even longer. You have to try it in different pipes, status, humidity, occasion, moods ...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have noticed that I am often enamored by the first bowl of a new blend. Perhaps only because it's a new experience, a change.

Soon after that the novelty fades and the blend loses its brilliance. So, for opposite reasons, the above advice still holds.
For purposes of reviewing a blend, rmbittner's comment resonates most with me:
Lots and lots of variable that can affect what we think of a given blend on any given day.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
DONT GO BY FIRST IMPRESSIONS!
Agreed. The other thing to consider is your changing (graduating) tastes. I tried a lot of tobaccos early on that got rave reviews and found them to be either too much for me to handle or didn't seem to live up to the hype. Luckily, I cellared what I bought.
The end result for me has been a few really great surprises waiting in those long ignored jars.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Captain Black White tastes like the consummate pipe tobacco at first: half a dozen bowls in you wonder, "What was I thinking?"
Dot
P.S. This is just my experience. I have full respect for smokers of all brands and blends, and if CBW is your cup of tea, then smoke on!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Totally agree. I only judge a blend after smoking at least a whole tin and through several pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.